How much should I be feeding??

EllisJuan

I was just curious on opinions of how much and how often I should be feeding. Currently I am feeding probably 5 days a week. I am alternating between frozen Hikari Mysis and frozen Hikari Gut-loaded Spiralina Brine. When I am feeding I am giving them one rinsed/thawed cube. I have a 65g tank, I have a fairly robust cleanup crew, and I am running a SWC 150BMK skimmer.

The current tank inhabitants are:
Midas Blenny
Tailspot Blenny
Six-line Wrasse
A pair of Picasso Clowns
2 Skunk Cleaners
Blood/Fire Cleaner
BTA

I ask because I feel like this should be enough, maybe even too much, but everyone always seams starving when they are fed.

I am of the opinion that most people underfeed their fish! Having said that though, nutrient export must balance input, and will determine how much you can feed. IME, twice a day is a minimum.

I feed twice a day. Pellets in the morning when I'm off to work, and some sort of frozen food or black worms in the evenings, when I have more time to thaw/rinse. Every other day the tangs get nori.

With your bioload, I'd divide that cube into two and feed twice a day. I have 10 fish and they usually only get 1 cube of whatever is frozen.

As ca1ore stated though, you should keep an eye on your nutrient export.

Do your fish have fat bellies? If yes, then you are feeding enough, if not, feed more!

Almost all fish (except the "flat" species) should have a protruding stomach/abdomen.

Do your fish have fat bellies? If yes, then you are feeding enough, if not, feed more!

Almost all fish (except the "flat" species) should have a protruding stomach/abdomen.

Yes, some are fatter than others. The six-line almost looks pregnant and the clowns are pretty plump too. The two blennys look healthy but not piggish.

Yes, some are fatter than others. The six-line almost looks pregnant and the clowns are pretty plump too. The two blennys look healthy but not piggish.

Then I'd say you're feeding enough, although personally I would feed every day. Just my own theory but perhaps they seem starving when they're fed because they don't know when to expect the next feed?

Then you are probably fine with what you are feeding now.

I do however think you could be feeding better foods. You should be feeding them something with fishmeal in it as well as the frozen. New Life Specrtum pellets are awesome, give them a shot.

Then you are probably fine with what you are feeding now.

I do however think you could be feeding better foods. You should be feeding them something with fishmeal in it as well as the frozen. New Life Specrtum pellets are awesome, give them a shot.

I have some NLS sinking pellets I toss in there a couple times a week. They do not seem as crazy for them as they do the frozen.

Unless you're running some super low nutrients system feeding more is a goal. More nutrients to fish, corals and all others. The limit here is import/export balance. You can feed tons and export nothing... you'll end up with a tank looking like jungle with all sort of algae growth. So find the threshold and keep feeding at rate below it.

Back