how not to start a tank

I thought when this thread started it was a joke, I guess not! No water changes for a year! Well good luck with your tank, it's an anomoly!

Well, he's either a politician or he's telling the truth. If it's the truth, I wish continued success :thumbsup:

So its been a year, tank is still doing great, had water tested a few days ago. I have never done a water change, the fish are healthy, cyno is gone. Was at the beach last weekend and brought back 5 gallons of water from the ocean to top off my tank. Still dose with vodka and vinegar every day. Biggest issue is keeping glass clean. Great hobby.

you're using ocean water for your top off??

I think this is very interesting. I've tried to do everything "by the book" and I have more Cyano in my 5 month tank than he does. I actually agree with Paul B's philosophy that using natural seawater (not from the shore) can help your tank more than harm it...but I have yet to try it only because I haven't been out in a boat this year. I plan to get some next summer during a trip to the Isles of Shoals and hope to get a rock while I'm there. I'm surprised that everyone doesn't view this entire project as a science experiment...because that's exactly what it is. There is no reason to assume this tank is going to fail necessarily and the OP is not suggesting you try this at home kids.

If I've said it before then I'll just say it again: I've never heard anyone say it's a bad idea to use seawater, unless someone was talking about sucking it out of the water from a pier right next to the fuel pumps. I can't really see how using unpolluted seawater wouldn't be the best idea possible.

you're using ocean water for your top off??
It's like an action movie. Stop questioning the plot holes and just enjoy the fact that none of it really needs to make sense in the end to be entertaining.

Plus, according to my math, the tank was only roughly half-filled to begin with...

Your "numbers" have no bearing on doing water changes. Exporting waste and trace elements supplements are important. To each his own, but to me that is one boring tank. No life on the rock. As others have said I seriously doubt that this tank could ever support more than some extremely hardy fish. On a tank that small, I really don't see why the huge concern regarding cost anyway. Good luck

sounds like a good description of the ten gallon i had in the 60's...kept a few baitfish and hermits alive for years,never changed water,topped off with tap...dumped everything back in the canal when i went away to college...certainly not a reef...

Here's my only problem with this. If you don't use rodi to top off with and don't change water then your tds is steadily rising. It will be ok for a while but eventually you'll go to far and stuff will go south. Btw, like mentioned, you'll never run a reef tank like this. The stuff they are testing for are just the beginning.

So its been a year, tank is still doing great, had water tested a few days ago. I have never done a water change, the fish are healthy, cyno is gone. Was at the beach last weekend and brought back 5 gallons of water from the ocean to top off my tank. Still dose with vodka and vinegar every day. Biggest issue is keeping glass clean. Great hobby.

Don't use the water from ocean as top off or your salinity will rise. Just something that stuck out to me in the post.

So its been a year, tank is still doing great, had water tested a few days ago. I have never done a water change, the fish are healthy, cyno is gone. Was at the beach last weekend and brought back 5 gallons of water from the ocean to top off my tank.

Topping off a tank for a year with seawater, your salinity should be through the roof and killing your livestock long before now.

My apologies for feeding the troll.

No water change for 2 years

No water change for 2 years

For all the doubters, its been well over 2 years, still dosing and have never taken any water out of my tank. Numbers are great, fish are healthy, and my clowns are spawning. Added a goby who keeps moving the sand around, so no algae issues, also added anemone. It must be hard to believe, but dosing works great, my saltwater tank is as easy as my freshwater Oscar tank I had in college. Be sure to get a good skimmer, and dose daily.

Those who have actually owned a reef know what happens when you use salt water for topping off evaporated water.

Figure it out.

For all the doubters, its been well over 2 years, still dosing and have never taken any water out of my tank. Numbers are great, fish are healthy, and my clowns are spawning. Added a goby who keeps moving the sand around, so no algae issues, also added anemone. It must be hard to believe, but dosing works great, my saltwater tank is as easy as my freshwater Oscar tank I had in college. Be sure to get a good skimmer, and dose daily.

great job sport, but as a few others have said you're not doing anything new; in fact, you're only doing it "old school". i've used beach sand, had 10 g reef tanks, still use NSW, kept tangs in 55g tanks, etc.... some people here read a sticky and think that's the only way to "do it", but that is far from the case!!!!

Maybe for your next challenge get some coral in there.

Back