How often do fairy wrasse jump?

stuckinstl

I'm thinking about getting a fairy wrasse, but I'm worried about it jumping out of the tank. Vendors like liveaquaria all put a disclaimer about needing a tight lid.

How often do these guys jump and how worried about it should I be?

I have a hood that leaves a 3-4" gap on each of the sides. A tight lid over the tank isn't easily feasible since I have some things that stick out of the tank and hang on the sides.

Thanks in advance

Fairy wrasse creed: "Jump Early and Jump Often".

Do not kill these magnificent animals by "taking the risk".

Snorvich also rightly points out the eggcrate fallacy. Get good tight lids, and keep an eye on them when you are feeding, cleaning etc. Don't walk away from the tank "just for a sec" with the lids off.

I had an exquisitus that you could hear hitting the lids every 10 mins or so when he was in that kind of mood.

YMWNV (Your Mileage Will Not Vary),
FW

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11683126#post11683126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by guardrail
ive had a tri color fairy and i have never heard or seen mine try to jump... wierd....

You've just junxed yourself. I expect your next post will read "Damn, wrasse went carpet surfing". As stated, these fish WILL jump. Its not a matter of if, but when.

I lost a Lubbocks and a pink margin wrasse to carpet surfing. Go to Lowes and get bird netting in the Outdoor/Garden Dept.($5.99) and make covers. It is made by Dupont and is UV and heat resistant, plus it doesn't block your lighting. Well worth it.

Now that is a great idea. I hear mine (I have many) bouncing off the lids all the time but it never seems to faze them at all.

Question: are any of these situations where the fairy wrasses were NOT in tanks with at least one boisterous tank mate and/or in a tank that was too small? In other words, can odds of jumping be reduced if tankmates are limited to peaceful/smaller/non-aggressive fish or if you make sure the wrasses are in good sized tank?

the problem is that we have no idea what goes through a fish' brain. The fish seem to get sppoked at anything at all, whether it be tankmates, something going on outside the tank, or the sky being blue. They just frequently and reliably. Dont fool yourself into thinking you can control or stop that.

THis will help with wrasse or other fish from jumping.. even firefish can't jump through it. 3/8ths size hole, soft netting used for bait casting, dosn't harm fish and especially dosn't effect lighting what so ever...

videooftank018.jpg

actually got it from a bait shop but you can get similar type netting from searching online/ key word pond netting. make sure its 3/8" , get clear so that it doesn't interfere with lighting. I just got bait casting net ( EXPENSIVE ) since I have nano type fish which are more sensitive and the bait casting allows for less harm for fish.

and use window screen frames from osh/HD/lowes.. cost's only $14 for the frame/seal/etc...

the net cost's more but online you can get for like $12-$25 for 10-20 ft. you can just sell the rest or trade for coral like I did..

good luck.

Charles-

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11690102#post11690102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kengar
Question: are any of these situations where the fairy wrasses were NOT in tanks with at least one boisterous tank mate and/or in a tank that was too small? In other words, can odds of jumping be reduced if tankmates are limited to peaceful/smaller/non-aggressive fish or if you make sure the wrasses are in good sized tank?

I've actually seen my lubbocks pause, aim, and launch himself out of the tank. No other fish was interacting with him in any way. IMO, not only do they jump on their own accord, but they seem to aim themselves, hence the comments you sometimes read about them jumping through the single, small opening on some tanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11692199#post11692199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SDguy
I've actually seen my lubbocks pause, aim, and launch himself out of the tank. No other fish was interacting with him in any way. IMO, not only do they jump on their own accord, but they seem to aim themselves, hence the comments you sometimes read about them jumping through the single, small opening on some tanks.

I have also seen my Lubbocks and Pink margin attempt to jump out when I had the tops on. They would hit the tops with a loud thud. No one ever bothered either of the fish, they just wanted out. Within a 3 month span i lost almost $300 in fish. Both were gorgeous specimens i got from Sedar at Phishy.

Back