How often do you put your hands in your tank?

TimLikesFish

I try to keep my hands out of my tank as much as possible. I probably put my hands in once every 2 weeks to mount some frags and syphon my sandbed. Just curious how often or seldom you guys put your hands in.

Really? What reasons do you guys have for going in that often? I use tools like long tongs and "julians thing" so I don't really have many other reasons to reach in too much unless something requires immediate attention.

Here lately, almost daily, but as I start getting fish back in the tanks and more stuff that could sting/poison/hurt me I'll start using tongs more.

About once a week. My system is only about 30 gallons, so I try not to stick them in very often. I scrub pretty good with reef suds beforehand.

Couple times a day...got to get that seaweed clip on the glass somehow.

Today...I was in there all day doing maintenance and adding corals.

I always use gloves, but depends on what I'm doing. I've been working on my rockwork recently and just finished removing my sandbed, so my hands were in there pretty much daily for a while. My fingers are always in there daily to feed.

Every day. Urchins always manage to knock over something or grab a frag and run. Haven't found a good set of tongs that won't rust yet.

One a week on average for when I do my weekly maintenance like sand cleaning, coral positioning and stuff like that. I always wash my hands twice before going into the tank. I try not to put them in more than once a week. But my fingers are in daily during feeding, but I still wash them twice.

Everyday...barehanded!!! Always moving or fixing something. Getting a dermatitis every day after it. So, I put steroid crème nightly to prevent the rash.

Barehanded everyday but only for a few seconds.. tangs get their Nori sheet everyday to keep them fat and happy

Back