How Often Should I Feed My Fish?

Just because you can only think in in a binary manner does not mean that the correct answer must be yes or no. Going by the theory that the closer we can mimic nature the better, multiple small daily feedings are better. Will most fish survive a single daily feeding or even every other day? Yes. Is that the best for the fish? No. Do some fish require multiple daily feedings for long term health? Yes. Will they survive a single daily feeding? Maybe.

Like you know how often or how much a fish in the wild eats or have the faintest clue what's best for the fish. :rolleye1:

Fish in transport go days, sometimes a couple of weeks without feeding.

Base your feeding schedule on two things. 1) how much time you can devote to feeding and 2) how fat or skinny your fish are. It's not sprocket science...a skinny fish needs more food and a fat fish needs to work out more.

My fish are young. I feed them 2-3 times a day in small amounts. Biopure Mega-marine and spirulina flake in the morning. Enriched mysis shrimp and NLS pellet in the afternoon. Then spiruline flake in the evening.

My fish are growing fast with great form and the colors are vibrant. I also gravel vac and change 10% of the water once a week.

For those of you that do incorporate algae growth in your tank, (refugium) do you really think your tank would crash if you took it offline? It's a yes or no answer. ;)

I know this thread is old but i feed anywhere from minimum 2 times two 5 or even 7 with weekly water changes skimmer and fuge nitrates are always zero or undetected.

what are your thoughts this.?

I have a 125g long. bubble max 2500 skimmer (no socks)

fish - Nig trigger. 2 anthis. 2 clowns - 1 fire fish - 1 file fish - 1 coral beauty -

right now I am feeding new life spectrum in the am with a auto feeder....then 2 cubes a mix of (brine / mysis / krill ) at night.

I am going to be switching to 1 cube in the am....then the auto feeder about 2pm and then 1 more cube around 7 when I get home from work.

so my question is....would 2 cubes and my auto feeder (second notch) be to much food in one day..? also is there other food I can feed that is better then frozen cubes ?

My 4 month old 46g with 2 Ocellaris, a Banggai, Royal Gramma, and a Baby Tiger Blenny is fed daily in the evening my homemade mixture. I puréed raw shrimp, whitefish, scallops, blood shrimp, mysis shrimp, flakes, Nori (after I made it I realized not necessary as no herbivores), and brine shrimp. They love it. I also had an auto feeder on in mornings with dried shrimp and flakes. Made sure low enough that no food ever got to the bottom when it fed. However, I just turned it off to see if my algae issues dissipate, and after a week no noticeable difference so might turn back on if after still no difference in another week.

Back