How Often Should I Feed My Fish?

TH3C1SC0K1D

This should be a question that I should have asked a long time ago but how often should I feed my fish? I don't want to over feed as to avoid negatively effecting the water quality but I don't want them to be underfed at the same time. I usually fees cubes of Frozen Food and Dry Seaweed Strips. I want to start keeping SPS Corals and Clams,but I want to get my feeding regimine down first. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

I feed mine once per day and they are FAT! I know people that feed every other day and I know people that feed 3-4 times per day. The fish were all healthy, so I guess there's no right or wrong answer. The people that feed several times per day have massive filtration.

This should be a question that I should have asked a long time ago but how often should I feed my fish? I don't want to over feed as to avoid negatively effecting the water quality but I don't want them to be underfed at the same time. I usually fees cubes of Frozen Food and Dry Seaweed Strips. I want to start keeping SPS Corals and Clams,but I want to get my feeding regimine down first. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

real question is .what kind of fish ?

noone can answer you without knowing that.

What kind of fish need to be fed more than once a day? Anthias? I'll take the Pepsi challenge and guaranty you that I can keep a fish like that happy and healthy for years on end with one meal a day.

I feed several times per day but only a little bit at a time. I'm off work on disability right now but start back to work in a few weeks, they're going to have to adjust to a less frequent schedule then.

I feed all my fish including yellow and blue hippo tang, pair of clown, 4 chromis and cleaner fish once a day and there fat, im using 1 cube of krill and 1 cube of mysis or brine shrimp soak in garlic liquid. Depends on your filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers

i like to feed my fish alot because my theory is happy fish are healthy fish. Not too much though because my rock may not catch up as fast. Make sure to feed your tangs nori every couple days because they need it (unless you have natural algae in your tank)

What kind of fish need to be fed more than once a day? Anthias? I'll take the Pepsi challenge and guaranty you that I can keep a fish like that happy and healthy for years on end with one meal a day.

Go buy yourself some purple queen anthias and only feed once a day and then let me know how you do. I'll buy you a Pepsi if you win :D

Go buy yourself some purple queen anthias and only feed once a day and then let me know how you do. I'll buy you a Pepsi if you win :D

Do you really think your fish would perish if you limited the amount you feed to only one meal a day? It's a yes or no answer. ;)

Do you really think your fish would perish if you limited the amount you feed to only one meal a day? It's a yes or no answer. ;)
They're hard enough to keep to begin with. Limiting them to one meal per day is going to all but ruin your chances of success...

Just because you can only think in in a binary manner does not mean that the correct answer must be yes or no. Going by the theory that the closer we can mimic nature the better, multiple small daily feedings are better. Will most fish survive a single daily feeding or even every other day? Yes. Is that the best for the fish? No. Do some fish require multiple daily feedings for long term health? Yes. Will they survive a single daily feeding? Maybe.

The answer is what you and your filtration can handle as well as what fish you have. If you want to mimic nature as closely as possible you will want to feed 2-4 small feedings per day. Fish will eat whatever food they get within a few minutes. They are opportunistic feeders and get what they can even if they are full. Also remember that the fish's stomach is only as big as their stomachs.

Just because you can only think in in a binary manner does not mean that the correct answer must be yes or no. Going by the theory that the closer we can mimic nature the better, multiple small daily feedings are better. Will most fish survive a single daily feeding or even every other day? Yes. Is that the best for the fish? No. Do some fish require multiple daily feedings for long term health? Yes. Will they survive a single daily feeding? Maybe.

I think that is the best answer I have read. I feed multiple times per day, a minimum of two.

I have three resplendant anthias,along with a hippo tang, sailfin tang, yellow tang, feed once a day, so far, soo good.

real question is .what kind of fish ?

noone can answer you without knowing that.

100% correct.
This is like asking how often you should feed a bird, reptile, or mammal. There is to much diversity among these groups, and fish, to make a blanket statement as to how often they should be fed. A Queen Anthias will not survive on one feeding a day, but an angler may be fine going days between meals. You have to study the species being kept before you"ll have a clue how to care for it.

Depends on my schedule. If I'm working, once or maybe twice a day. If I'm off two or three times a day with smaller amounts. If it's time for a water change I might feed four times (even smaller amounts) prior to the water change.

Right now I have a new and small pair of bangaii that are very picky eaters. They're getting two or three or four small feedings a day. It's as much about training the feeding response as it is about making sure they get enough to eat. In less than a week they've gone from hiding in the back during feedings to coming up to the glass and begging for food. In this case excessive multiple feedings were the best option imo.

Gotta go, time for a water change ;).

Back