How soon will I see baking soda results?

joekidwell

I put my phosphate reactor online last week with a 1/4 cup of phosguard. My alkalinity before was 8.3 now it's holding steady at 7. I dosed 10 ml of a baking soda mix 1 1/4 soda to 1 gallon of water.

How soon will I see results if I dose 10 ml a day?

I would use this calculator, fill in the blanks for your system, use Randy's recipe #2 in the drop down menu for alkalinity to get your dosage, then add it to a high flow area of your tank. You can increase the alk up to .5mL (1.4dKH) per day, so if you need more spread it out over a couple days. Once you have the number where you want it, test each day for a few days to see what your consumption rate is to determine how much you'll need to dose on a daily basis(if needed)

FWIW, the alkalinity results from baking soda addition are instantaneous. As soon as it dissolves it will register in a test kit. :)

Isn't this true for any adjustment to alkalinity ?

Mostly. I wasn't implying it was special, but it isn't true of the acetate in Salifert's All in One, for example.

Or, dare I say it, the polygluconate in Seachem Reef Calcium (relates a different, more contentious thread). :)

Isn't this true for any adjustment to alkalinity ?

Mostly. I wasn't implying it was special, but it isn't true of the acetate in Salifert's All in One, for example.

Or, dare I say it, the polygluconate in Seachem Reef Calcium (relates a different, more contentious thread). :)

I stand corrected while I type.

Actually, Salifert All in One isn't cheap. It is, as far as I know, the only All In One product that doesn't need to be added dry to the tank water. It also boost bacteria growth just like adding vinegar. That said, it isn't something I ever felt the desire to use. :)

Back