how to attach a baby acro frag to existing rock???

jenzabear

Hi,

I just bought a baby acro frag today, it is the first one in our tank and am just wondering what is the besy way to attach to little guy to our existing rock?

I always use plain super glue. I also use reef putty. It comes in a stick and has 2 parts (inside and outside). You break a peice off, mash it up with your fingers till the 2 parts mix good, then put it and the coral on your rock and let it dry.

Also if you mount your baby standing striaght up, it will grow as normal, and not branch out as much, but if you mount it laying down it will form many more branches. This does take quite some time though.

super glue eh?? I do have some of that kickin around at home here so I'll try that. Do the rocks need to be dry to do this?? Also how do you mean laying the acro on its side? Should I place it so that it is leaning out on the from of the rock or how??

Super glue gel is how I attached all my acro frags. Works great!
The rocks do not need to be dry to do this. You can either glue it so it is standing straight up and it will grow straight up or you can glue it to the side of rock so the frag is horizontal and will get a frag that branches out more. Most of mine are glued so the frag is horizontal and I get a bunch of great branching Acros. Good luck

i usually dry the rock off a little. You dont have to make sure its completely dry. i let the acro sit on the rock glued for a few minutes out of water (maybe 5), and them i dunk it and hold it in a low current area. when it hits water the glue will immediately start to skin over. i hold it there for a few min just to make sure it gets a good hold, then put it in its place. :)

use super glue gel. this is how i do it:

take super glue gel and put a nice heaping ammount on on the spot where you want to mount the frag. then take the frag and dab it in the heaping spot of super glue gel and pull it in and out of the glue. it will start to form string looking things. once you see htese then push the frag in the spot of gel and give it a small twist. then LET IT GO!!!! if your putting the frag on a smaller rock or a plug let the plug sit for about 10 minutes before you move it into the tanks so the SG can cure some. it is IMPORTANT u use super glue GEL the regular SG is watery and wouldnt form a nice mound for the frag to sit in. good luck. oh and if you go to walmart they have double packs fo the gel for like $1.50ish i usually clear the shelf when i go so its around. in reefing you can always use of super glue gel.

so can you or do you put the glue on the frag and plung it into your display tank and attach it your existing rock ?
does the glue still dry under water ?

If your asking can you glue it to a rock that is currently in the tank, without taking it out, then i beleive the answer is no.not with super glue at least. They sell underwater glue though. I beleive a brand is mr. stickies underwater glue. Never tried it though.

Thanks all very much for the help. THe frag is currently attached to a smaller piece of rock, now is it possible to remove it from the piece of rock it is currently attached to and attach to a larger rock that is already in our tank?? If so, how can I safely remove it? The frag is only about an inch tall.

I dont know how strong the bond is with the glue, but if it feels to hard to just snap it off without hurting the frag, you may have to use a chisel or an icepick and a hammer to seperate them. Another option would be to find a big nook in a rock in your tank, and just lodge the frags rock into it. thats what i usually do

that's what we usually do to, lodge our frags into rock spaces, but there aren't a lot of spaces left!!! This is why I want to attach it directly to existing rock. Chiselling it off?? That sounds scary!!

THe frag is currently attached to a smaller piece of rock, now is it possible to remove it from the piece of rock it is currently attached to and attach to a larger rock that is already in our tank??

I would not risk removing the frag from the rock it's on, I would just epoxy that small rock to a larger piece of rock in the tank using a two-part epoxy putty, which sets up under water. You can buy epoxy putty from any of the online fish stores or some LFS, or use the Aquamend brand (much cheaper) from Home Depot. You'll kind of have to mold the putty around the edges of the small rock when you mush it onto the larger rock, so some of the epoxy will show around the edges but as soon as the frag starts growing it will start encrusting over the base and hide the epoxy.

Larry

i use super glue gel all the time underwater. i dont ever take my main rocks out. just put the glue on the rock in the water and attach the frag where i put the glue.

thanks guys for all the help, I will not try to remove the frag then, I will just attach the smaller rock to the larger one in the tank. :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7497435#post7497435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jenzabear
Also how do you mean laying the acro on its side? Should I place it so that it is leaning out on the from of the rock or how??
76054IMG_2078-med.JPG

This was one straight piece glued on its side.

Back