How to build my own huge aquarium?

derrick80f

We are planning on buying or building a house in 6-9 months. I am considering when we move, selling my current 150g setup and setting up a really big tank. Especially if we build, I can dedicate a large wall to it. I have seen some of the custom tanks online and they are very expensive, even for just a 500g. I'm sure it would be cheaper to build a tank myself.. but I'm not sure how or where to start with something like that. I would want to make sure everything was perfect and there was no chance possible for any leaks or anything, and although I would want like, 1000 gallons, I have no idea on what dimensions would be required for this. Also I would want to be able to perform maintainence without getting in the tank. Lol. Just by using tools and all to clean it. I know it is a long ways off but I also know its good to prepare and know what you're doing. Any advice, links, etc would be appreciated.

I’ve never done DIY with a tank, but do a search for plywood fish tanks and I think you may find something of what you’re looking for.

length X width X height in inches divided by 231 will give you gallons held.
8" x 3' x 3'= 538 gallons
10' x 3' x 3' = 673 gallons
Got a long way to go yet!

IMO, the deeper (front to back) the better. My 500g tank is 6’x 5’and I love it…
1666286459410.jpeg

Yeah, I found out it has to be 12' x 5' x 30" to be about 1100 gallons. That's really big. Which is why I will build it myself, it shouldn't be too difficult to frame up, seal, etc.. I watched a YouTube video where a guy showed from start to finish the construction of a huge tank. The only problem is the cost of equipment to run it and raise in power bill cost.

Yeah, I found out it has to be 12' x 5' x 30" to be about 1100 gallons.
You’ll need access to work on all 4 sides … personally, I’d prefer only 24-27” top to bottom, otherwise you’ll have a tough time placing or retrieving anything on the bottom.

Are you planning glass or acrylic?

You’ll need access to work on all 4 sides … personally, I’d prefer only 24-27” top to bottom, otherwise you’ll have a tough time placing or retrieving anything on the bottom.

Are you planning glass or acrylic?
I wanted 30-32" for a deeper sandbed- and more area for the fish to swim

I never would have thought about that. If you run a traditional DSB, that’d put you right about 24” or so of swim space.
I'm just throwing around ideas right now. I like the idea of a taller tank. I would just build it right on the floor, not requiring a stand, but then I would want to go 60" tall, for the viewing area to be optimal, and a 60" high, x 12' x 5' would be twice what I was planning, at right around 2000g filled.. not to mention I have no idea how I would keep it clean, and keep up other regular maintenance as well as how to reach the bottom. Plus, I have no idea how a tank like that would be plumbed. I guess out the back at the top?

I'm just throwing around ideas right now. I like the idea of a taller tank. I would just build it right on the floor, not requiring a stand, but then I would want to go 60" tall, for the viewing area to be optimal, and a 60" high’x 12' x 5'would be twice what I was planning…
IMO/E a tank built on the floor would not be a good idea… there is more ‘action’ in the lower level that would be impossible to see without laying on the floor to be able to view it.
I usually build my stands to have mid-tank at eye level.

IMO/E a tank built on the floor would not be a good idea… there is more ‘action’ in the lower level that would be impossible to see without laying on the floor to be able to view it.
I usually build my stands to have mid-tank at eye level.
Thanks, I know it is probably expensive to build a steel stand for a tank that large. I can't imagine building the stand out of wood, unless I used 4x4 posts for the corners and middle front and back. I guess I could always double the posts in the center supports, with 4x4s for top of the stand on all sides.. I just think of long term, 10-20 years down the road, the wood holding up to that stress.

Glass is much heavier than the acylic and I would imagine even more expensive in the thickness you would need for this tank. I've read that properly bonded acylic will give you stronger seams than glass and in a tank this size you don't want a seam to split. For glass that is probably at least 1.5" think I would have to go with low iron to keep the green color to a minimum, I don't believe acrylic has that problem. Even DIY this is not something for a person on a tight budget. But after you do all your research and if you decide to give it a go I hope you start a build thread to document the process. I'll be following along and wish you success.

This calculator says 3/4 glass for that tank:

Aquarium Glass Thickness Calculator

glass.png

As I recall the depth (30in) is the major determining factor in glass selection. You could make it 24ft long and it would still be that same glass thickness at 30 inches ( of course you would need to Eurobrace and the bottom pane does need to increase).

Why not use multiple standard size tanks? It would be a lot cheaper and they can be connected with 2" or 3" bulk head fittings or placed at an angle with a common sump.

Untitled 1.jpg

If building right on the floor, maybe consider looking at this thread - it’s a big thread but I think kind of what you’re going for

Back