How to buy fish in Today's Market

Ordered a couple of fish from Blue Zoo... McCoskers Wrasse Male and... don't hate on me... a Male Blue Jaw Trigger. I couldn't pass it up for $85! I guess a larger tank will be needed in a couple of years.

I received my shipment from Blue Zoo. It was on time, well packed, and still warm. The Blue Jaw Trigger is good looking good... nice size toward the large end of the promised range, not stressed, and showing great color even in the bag. The McCoskers Wrasse is on the small side of the promised range but seems healthy, color looks good, and also not stressed. Overall I am pleased.

Is the wrasse large enough to not be dinner for the trigger?

I think so. The Trigger is about a little over 3" the Wrasse about 1.5". If it was a more aggressive Trigger, I'd be worried. Not so much with a Blue Jaw. The QT is 30 gallons and there's plenty of hiding spots.

I know a few people, including myself, that removed blue throats from reef tanks... Keep an eye on it.

I know a few people, including myself, that removed blue throats from reef tanks... Keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out. Wish me luck. With the exception of the Copperband that is pretty big and already in the display tank and the Wrasse that's in the QT with the Trigger, the other fish that will go into the display tank are somewhat more aggressive. I'm trying to introduce them in order of timidity or aggressiveness. Here's the current but not set in stone list & order feel free to critique. Thanks

In the 75

1. Copperband
2. McCoskers Wrasse (Male)
3. Blue Jaw Trigger
4. Flame Hawk & Longnose Hawk
5. Green Wrasse & Melanarus Wrasse (Male)
6. Yellow and & Hippo Tang

There is a 6' 180 in the works for the fall of next year. These fish will all transfer into it.

I'd say stock for what you have now, not for what you are planning. A lot can happen in a year, and that seems like too much of a bioload for a 75 gallon.

Either way, good luck.

Kansas City and Oklahoma City are within a reasonable drive. Does anyone have any recommendations for LFSs to visit in those cities?

I'd love to order enough all at once from LA/DD to make shipping reasonable but my neither my QT or my wallet will support that idea. Sucks being cash challenged in this hobby!

I am in KC area. Here are your main options, in no particular order :)

1. Paradise Aquatics: Reasonable prices, not a whole lot of variety though unless you get lucky.

2. Aquarium Wholesale in Olathe. Mostly cheap (they recently had $5 Banggai cardinals) , and good variety of fish.

3. Fishtopia, smallest, cheapest of all and probably the newest. Not sure how good the fish are as I never bought from them. Is on the other side of town so add about 30mins drive both ways.

4. Picasso in Leawood. Most expensive, I mean 5 star hotel expensive. But probably the best maintained and healthy fish from the looks of their showroom. They cater to lawyers, doctors and offices etc. I would say :)

I would try the 1st 2 options if you ever are in town.

I'm really bummed. It's time to stock my 75. I can't find healthy fish locally very often and on-line prices are so much higher particularly when shipping is considered. Even if I decide to pay the on-line price, it seems the fish I want is out of stock & the email telling me it is available never arrives. :sad1:

So... does anyone have any suggestions for finding a particular specimen that is healthy, available, and reasonably priced?

Have you asked your LFS to order the fish you want? Which fish are you looking to acquire?

i feel your pain. to get to a really good lfs, i'd have to drive to st. louis, 2 hours away.

Let me know the next time you come to STL, I'll buy you lunch.

Today I received my order from Salt Critters. The prices were pretty shocking. I paid $40 to ship to California. Most Zoas and Rics are already open.
I ordered Sunday night. I didn't get anything really that special, but the frags were bigger than expected, and packed REALLY well, with each frag in a completely sealed pouch.
I know you asked about fish, and I didn't check their selection there, but just to comment that this order was perfect.

Have you asked your LFS to order the fish you want? Which fish are you looking to acquire?

Yea, it's kinda a "let us know what you want and we'll see if it's on the suppliers list" thing. I'm not looking for anything special either, just healthy and in a certain order. Don't get me wrong. The LFSs aren't bad. I'm just really picky. If other fish in a holding tank don't look healthy I can't make myself buy any fish out of it. And... if I have to order a fish and take it home in a suppliers bag, I'd rather have the one that came to me Fed-ex overnight.

My next two into QT, about 6 weeks from now, should be a Flame and Longnose Hawk. These shouldn't be too hard to find. They're easier to QT/acclimate.

Back