How to catch mantis shrimp

thommo75

Guys,
Been trying to find my mantis shrimp in DT tank for a while and finally found him. I can't remove the piece of rock from the tank without a massive effort and would probably escape while I removed it. The rock he is in has two holes, each about 1-1 1/2 inches. Any ideas on how to catch him?? Has killed a few little fish and snails to date. Must go.

Thanks Neil

I once started a siphon with a clear vinyl siphon hose...then put a piece of meaty frozen food in one end that stayed in the tank...I then moved the end of the hose OVER the hole the mantis was in...by slightly allowing some water out the other end of the hose I was holding closed with my thumb...I was able to let just enough water out to move the frozen food a few inches up the hose-just out of reach of the mantis...Then...u wait...and when he sticks his body out of the hole and reaches for the food- U let go of the siphon at the other end ...and watch him get sucked right out into a bucket !!!!

I was going to suggest a baited funnel trap (fish trap), but hottuna's idea may proven to be faster.

I once started a siphon with a clear vinyl siphon hose...then put a piece of meaty frozen food in one end that stayed in the tank...I then moved the end of the hose OVER the hole the mantis was in...by slightly allowing some water out the other end of the hose I was holding closed with my thumb...I was able to let just enough water out to move the frozen food a few inches up the hose-just out of reach of the mantis...Then...u wait...and when he sticks his body out of the hole and reaches for the food- U let go of the siphon at the other end ...and watch him get sucked right out into a bucket !!!!

thats a great tactic never thought of that one... I persoally like mantis shrimp they are very interesting to observe if you have refuge i would throw him down there after you catch him

Back