How to clean acrylic on inside back of aquarium

Tuscaquatics

So I'm setting up my Red Sea Reefer 170 again after about a year due to moving. I didn't clean it great before I put it away so now I'm in the process of getting it back to new again before I put water in.
I'm using a razor blade to scrape off the coralline and other little crusty things from the glass but I'm wondering if anybody has tips for how to get that stuff off the acrylic panel on the back wall without scratching it. I'm afraid to even touch it with a blade.

Scrub it good with vinegar. FWIW a clean surface of coraline and those other crusty things make a good surface for attaching stuff to and for new coraline algae to attach to.

Scrub it good with vinegar. FWIW a clean surface of coraline and those other crusty things make a good surface for attaching stuff to and for new coraline algae to attach to.
I've been using vinegar but a lot of it still won't come off because I'm scared to use anything rougher than a rag or a soft sponge. I'm afraid to scuff up the acrylic and end up with it being a magnet for all kinds of algae and stuff to grow on it.

Although I’ve not personally used it, many people seem to use ‘Magic Eraser’ to clean it.

I have used razor blades on my own acrylic tanks.,, but before using them, I ‘round out’ the 90* corners on the blade, so as to reduce the chance of scratching. Any light surface scratches can be removed with Novus products.

I've been using vinegar but a lot of it still won't come off because I'm scared to use anything rougher than a rag or a soft sponge. I'm afraid to scuff up the acrylic and end up with it being a magnet for all kinds of algae and stuff to grow on it.

Well, algae doesn't really care how smooth or rough a surface is so I guess what you have to decide is just how annoying it is to see white areas on the overflow. Scrub brushes for dishes can't be too course to avoid scratching dishes, maybe try something like that?

The Flipper scraper is amazing! I've used credit cards for years on my Clarity Plus acrylic tank. This makes life soooo much easier! You can use your own credit cards or purchase their inserts. The handle comes off and you can cut it to any desired length. It does not flex like I thought it would; very rigid and effective.

Back