how to clean an old tank... also, anyone want an old tank?

Dert42

Premium Member
my old 165 is sitting downstairs, super dirty.. old alge and gunk.. it's completely dried up. acrylic... how should i clean it?

also i need to sell it... i think the tank is slightly sunk into the wood stand though... $100 if anyone wants it as is...or i'm open to trades...

That would be quite the vat of vinegar!! I would, first, fill it with tap water and leave it sit to soften, 24-48 hours, then wipe/scrub gently with vinegar and a made for acrylic algae cleaner pad. See what you have then, you may need to do it again, or not.

72 by 20 by 24. but it's got like.. little chambers in the back, like bubble baffels and built in chamber for a super super crappy skimmer.
it would make an awesome sump... i don't have room for it.
right now it's sitting in my spare bedroom while the spare bed is leaning on the wall. all the while ****ing off my wife...

would local fish stores have acrylic algae cleaner pad?

tank1.jpg

also has lids... and a canopy that i kinda cut a big hole out of...

"would local fish stores have acrylic algae cleaner pad?"

Yes so would most petsmart, petco's.

That tank looks way to good to make it a sump. Fill it up with water and a couple power heads then add 3 or 4 gallons of vineger let run for 2 days then use a pad to clean. Mine looked much worse then yours when I got it and it worked great.

After yhou do that you can then drain it and rinse it well then let it dry and buff out any scratches it may have.

Wow, I got like 6 pms.. I'll respond tomorrow.. Kind of a pain on iPhone...and I'm not home til tomorrow.
Thanks guys!

Back