How to control this?

d_icemand

I have had my 65 tank up for over a year now. I have added all kinds of hard/soft corals. Somehow I got some of this which I think is Anthelia. I am not sure. At first I didn't mind. But now it seems to be spreading and growing quite fast. I have had fellow reefers tell me to watch out b/c it can take over fast. It has attached in multiple spots on much base rock. I'm scared of what could happen to my tank. How can I rid my tank of this?

49172DSC00649__Large_-med.JPG

49172DSC00650__Large_-med.JPG

49172DSC00651__Large_-med.JPG

yup its anthilia.

You can pull it out, thats how I do it. Beware tho it stinks really really bad. I have also injected them with kalk paste which helped a little.

You can just give me all your corals and have a species only (anthellia) tank.:D Then you will have nothing to worry about - it will be nice and flowing aquarium.

Then again you can pull it out or scrape it off of any rock that you can pull out. There are some angelfish that eat it but that might be a real threat to your other corals.

Yeah, if you look closely at the base, you can see the ends of it. If you can get a credit card (or your fingernail if you don't mind a stinky fingernail) under it, it peels off really easy. Sometimes you can get a really big chunk of it, and you get that feeling of satisfaction similar to getting a big chunk of orange peel off, or the whole egg shell of a boiled egg, or that really big booger that's been bothering you all day.

I've tried pulling it off. There is always that little piece the hides in the rock and it grows right back.

I have found injecting unwanted leathers with vinegar seams to work.. you could try that. Just a thought.

I have it everywhere and it is taking over my tank. I am willing to try an angel as well. I have a regal angel that won't touch it. It would take me months to pull it all out, if I could even reach it. Anyone know what angel eats this stuff. I almost don't care about the rest of the corals being picked on, because I won't be able to keep those corals anyway.

Large Angels might eat eat like a Queen or french. Any Angels that is not reef safe

Back