How to dose for Alkalinity?

reefvilla

I've been checking my Alk weekly. I keep it at 9'ish and within a week it will drop to around 6.5DKH so I use a buffer and boost it back up. My calcium seems to hover around 450.

I'm just wondering how to dose the tank daily to keep the Alk steady?

Don't use fancy buffers your going to want to use a dosing system. Probably the easiest system to get setup on is bulkreefsupply.com Look into the total starter package, it will give you everything you need to get going. Also, don't forget to buy quality test kits...never dose without monitoring, but it seems you already have those.

It appears your tank is using about 0.36 dKH of alk per day. Using your figures over the period of 7 days.

You can use the Reef Chemical Calculator to determine how much alk supplement (you can use baking soda) per day.

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

If we are given your actual water volume of your system (excluding rock and sand), we can calculate the amount of supplement you need to add per day. ;)

I have this exact same question. My calcium is sitting at 460 all the time.

Alk test
4/28 - 9dkh
5/2 - 8dkh
5/5 - 6.7dkh - dosed 3oz of brs alk
5/6 - 8.3dkh
5/7 - 7.7dkh

all this time the ca stays at 460ppm
my setup is a 110g cube with a 30g sump. Have about 125lbs of live rock. Have 27 or so frags of sps in it. Is it normal for alk to be used up and calcium to just stick where it is? I have the brs 2 part kit. How much will I have to dose of the alk daily to keep my alk at around 9dkh? Can't ask about calcium as it hasn't moved. Sorry to piggyback on this thread but we has same question figure I won't start a new thread.

Calcium and alkalinity are consumed at a ratio of about 20 ppm per 2.8 dKH, so it often appears that calcium is not dropping. Unless the tank is getting water changes with a high-calcium salt product, the easiest way to get started is a 2-part like B-Ionic or make a DIY version.

Many tanks require daily dosing of alkalinity and calcium, so these numbers all seem reasonable,.

I just wanna know if everything is going ok. I have all sps frags. Some have great polyp extension, some not so good and some not at all. All colors are good, nothing in the tank looks dull. What make good PE? Is it just the placement of the frag in the tank, ie lights and how much flow? Are those bigger factors than my water parameters, which seem to be good and stable.

Hopefully this salifert calcium test kit comes tommorow so I can test with that. With the API kit all my numbers seem to vary from test to test.

So if you go with B Ionic 2 part, you just dose the amount you need daily, daily, right?
So I guess I don't need an auto doser to do this which is what I was wondering. Right now I am useing Seachem Reef Builder which is a powder.

My total system water is about 140-142 gallons.

Any links to a DIY doser?

I doesnt look like you need a two part at the moment. Just get some Arm & Hammer baking soda and dose per the calculator that Cliff referenced. It is really that easy. :)

I have the same problem Alk I have to dose daily to stay @ 9 and it appears with my 10% weekly water change my cal stays @400. I bought the Elos 2 part system and dosed cal in the morning and alk in the evening but I only had to dose the cal once because it shot up to 460 and holding on the other hand I have to dose alk daily to maintain 9dkh. I am using TM Bioactiff salt and I tesk alk daily with salfert, elos and api kits.

So if you go with B Ionic 2 part, you just dose the amount you need daily, daily, right?
So I guess I don't need an auto doser to do this which is what I was wondering. Right now I am useing Seachem Reef Builder which is a powder.

My total system water is about 140-142 gallons.

Any links to a DIY doser?

You need to add about 1 teaspoon per day of SeaChem Reef Builder or about 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda per day. As long as you don't need to add calcium, you can simply add the alk supplement to your top-off unit. You can't add both alk and calcium or precipitation can occur. For this you would need to know what your daily evaporation rate is. Then simply add the appropriate alk supplement amount (used daily) to the amount of rodi water evaporated daily.

You need to add about 1 teaspoon per day of SeaChem Reef Builder or about 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda per day. As long as you don't need to add calcium, you can simply add the alk supplement to your top-off unit. You can't add both alk and calcium or precipitation can occur. For this you would need to know what your daily evaporation rate is. Then simply add the appropriate alk supplement amount (used daily) to the amount of rodi water evaporated daily.

Ok.. Thanks for the help!

Is there a difference between the baking soda and store bought buffers?

Your welcome. ;)

Many of your store bought buffers contain baking soda or a mix of it with baked baking soda. Some add borates which can give you inaccurate alk readings, which is why I don't like borates added to alk supplements.

Baking soda will not raise your pH.

Baked Baking soda will help raise your tank pH if it is on the low side.

A mixture of the two will have a moderate increasing effect on your tank pH.

Randy provides more details in this article:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

If I am using 0.3125 dkh of alk per day and I have 88 net gallons how much do I need to dose?
I am using B Ionic 2 part. My current dkh is 6.5 and I want to stabilize at 7.5.
Liz

I'm going to buy the B Ionic 2 part.. I tested my Cal. again today it it has dropped slightly.
Time to start a routine!

Back