How to fight Green Hair Algae

Jorbar47

I am having a Green Hair algae outbreak on a 200g tank that just finished cycling.

Parameters are
Nitrate 0 ppm
And i am using RO / DI water

Lighting is now running on blues from 9 to 10.30
Full from 10.30 to 5 pm
Blues again from 5 pm to 8.00 pm
Lunar LEDS from 8 pm to 6 am

TRied plucking some out but didnt get anywhere.

Before i had a small diatom outbreak that went away once i diminished lighting, but in its place came the green hair algae.

Open to suggestions, thanks!

Need more information, First do you use RO/DI for water changes and top off, if not you could have nitrates and phosphates that will grow, Do you have any clean up crew, and do you have fuge do grow macro algae. do some more reading on this site, many articles on GHA. good luck.

OP mentioned ro/di water.

Do you have a clean up crew? Algae blooms can be common due to rock or sand leaching phosphates for a while.

Getting a good mix of inverts can really help control algae.

At this point in the game, you might expect some algae, get a clean up crew in as soon as possible, avoid overstocking with fish & most of all do not overfeed. The fact is new tanks will go through nuisance bacteria & algae phases, if you follow my stocking & feeding advice as well as keep a regular maintenance schedule, the algae will fade away on it's own.

Start running some GFO to help remove excess phosphates that the hair algae is being fueled by.

Dont mean to steal ur thread but i have green hair algea on 1 rock thats it weird no where else

I agree that a Phosphate/GFO reactor will help keep phosphates in check, however, I wouldn't recommend starting out with one on a new tank, if properly maintained & stocked from the beginning, a reef tank may never need a reactor, now if this were an established system that suddenly has a nuisance algae problem, then I would suggest a reactor as a stop gap measure, I think we too often put band aids on problems that can be elimated by finding the source & correcting the problem at it's origin. If the op does not currently have a good protein skimmer, then I would recommend buying one, that will be a more useful tool in the long term care of the tank.

Phosphate reactor on a new tank can't hurt, but it depends on the rock. There could be loads of phosphate locked in the rock. Best ways to treat, and I'm doing it now. Phosphate reactor, less feedings, less light, carbon dosing...vodka, sugar, pellots. If you have HA you have excess nutrients and the algea is consuming it.

Glad I read this post because I had some green algae started to grow on my rocks but it wasn't hair algae and then some of it started turning purple and now I notice i have green hair algae growing in my sand bed and on my rocks. I am running a phosphate reactor and i have a clean up crew i only use RO/DI water for changes and top off so if someone have some suggestions I am all ears.

Glad I read this post because I had some green algae started to grow on my rocks but it wasn't hair algae and then some of it started turning purple and now I notice i have green hair algae growing in my sand bed and on my rocks. I am running a phosphate reactor and i have a clean up crew i only use RO/DI water for changes and top off so if someone have some suggestions I am all ears.

WHat size tank, what is your CUC, what is your light schedule and how much do you feed/how often?

Back