How to get my fish home.

Rip_tide

I'm purchasing an epaulette shark from a local store soon, and am unsure of the best way to transport him (12-14 inches long) to my home. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've got a 160 gallon tank with a gymnothorax Miliaris of the same size right now, and am building a 225 gallon tank to move them into in a year or so. Got 400g rated sump/filter and skimmer.and I'm excited, I've been working towards getting it for a year now!

Also, the eppie is a Hemiscyllium hallstromi, the new Guinean variety, and they tend to top out at 29"

I have zero experience with these guys. There are some shark experts over in the fish only and aggressive tanks forum.

Okay, end result of my trip is a ten gallon Sterilite container for the trip itself, and a 27 gallon tote for acclimation. Now for the shark.....

Okay, end result of my trip is a ten gallon Sterilite container for the trip itself, and a 27 gallon tote for acclimation. Now for the shark.....

sounds like you figured it out....

I was going to say I have seen people use 5 gal buckets for big fish, and plastic totes for really big fish like the shark you are getting. Just need to get enough water for the tote from your LFS.

Don't forget the battery operated airpump and stone if it's a long trip.
a 29" fish still seems a bit big for a 225g, unless it's more square than rectangular.

Friends have used large sized plastic coolers like Colemans. One guy I know brought his 2+' long Red Tailed Catfish to a club meeting to show off.

I have used a cooler before, its insulated and has a lid which worked well for my 30 minute trip to the closest LFS.

Back