How To Join A.R.K.

tank o tang

Thread Lurker
Looking to join a local fish club? Joining the Aquarium Reef Keepers of Southwest CT (A.R.K.) is easy. All you have to do is attend our monthly meetings and/or contribute to conversation here on the forum. To join is free and the benefits are abundant. As a member you are welcome to participate in the A.R.K. coral share program, participate in member arranged group buys, host meetings, share information, and much more.

Hmmmmm. Just read your FAQ. Seems your looking to get rich with my $10. Im in Stamford...is this group still alive and kicking or should i stick with Manhattan Reefs?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Why do you think we are trying to get rich with your $10? The only real reason for the fee is so that the club can have a non-profit status. As such, none of the officers makes a single cent from the club...

We are very much alive and have a meeting every month.

Where in Stamford are you? We can meet and have a chat about the club if you like.

Best,
Georgi

Hmmmmm. Just read your FAQ. Seems your looking to get rich with my $10. Im in Stamford...is this group still alive and kicking or should i stick with Manhattan Reefs?

Steve
Wow! I just noticed this.

If you really read our FAQ, then it must not have been clear enough. So please allow me to clarify...

Participation in club events is open to all hobbyiests that can attend a meeting and have an active interest in reef keeping. That has no cost. In the few instances where benefits of such participation are in some way limited, the benefits flow to members first.

The decision to ask for dues at all was contrary to our objective of being just a group of reefers gathering to chat. But trying to legally organize as a non-profit meant complying with federal expectations meant collection of dues. Uncle Sam requires it for us to be non-profit. And being non-profit is required for us to avoid the expense of an accountant for annual tax filing.

I'm sorry you think we'll get rich off your $10. But the reality is our dues barely covers the expense of keeping a web site, and buying a few pizzas for people that attend our annual meeting.

The great benefit to you is that we have organized with you in mind. You are welcome to attend without paying a nickel. Paying for membership is optional, and we welcome all.

hi - im new to the hobby and interested in attending a meeting, im in new haven, are all your meeting at the same location? or do you do different locations every month? Im gonna go check out the website now.

Alan! Greetings. We should be posting a notice about our July meeting in a week or two. So when you see a "July Meeting" thread in this forum, just read the thread for the details, and stop by. Official "joining" required attending two meetings in a year and $10. But everyone with an interest in reef keeping is welcome in the meetings.

I hope to meet you soon. Stay posted for that July Meeting thread. :)

Hey. I'm new to the hobby, have kept freshwater since I was a kid. Just bought my first tank and I am setting it up with the help of my friend( he's got 2 years in the hobby) he and I are very interested in the club. From what I understand we just attend meetings and the 10$ a year for dues?
Is the July meeting the one that's posted in the forum for the 27th?
Let me know if we should just attend or if there's anything else to join that I would need.

Thanks much!

- Mike

Also- born and raised in east norwalk just moved to east haven

MikeL - All we "require" is an interest in reef tanks, and the intention to set one up - if you don't already have one. Sounds like you've got that down, so please do drop by our meeting on the 27th (yes - that's the thread). Should be fun and look forward to meeting you!

East Norwalk huh? Our Pres Joe (RTMA) just treated me to lunch at Niks in East Norwalk. Delicious! :)

Hi, I'm Ross. New to the forum, but not reefing. I grew up helping out with my dad's 125ish tank. Now we have about 300 gallons of fresh and saltwater tanks running right now. I Love the hobby and am excited about meeting some people nearby to share knowledge and frags! See you all at the next meeting. :)

Greetings Ross! 300g is a lot of water! Please come loaded with some good experiences about that to share. Will be fun!

See you soon. :)

Hey guys,
I have a 1 year old saltwater tank and Im looking to get involved in a club with great people like all of you. One thing is though I am only 17 years old and I live in Norwalk, so attending meetings in new haven and other far away places are out of the question for me. So am I still allowed to join?

Age is no issue! The only requirement is an interest in reef tanks. This club would be of little value to people with saltwater fish-only tanks.

But if you are interested in learning about reef keeping, please do come to a meeting.

Hey guys,
I have a 1 year old saltwater tank and Im looking to get involved in a club with great people like all of you. One thing is though I am only 17 years old and I live in Norwalk, so attending meetings in new haven and other far away places are out of the question for me. So am I still allowed to join?

Welcome!

Back