how to join glass for rimless tank

reiko1078

i just returned from the glass shop and placed an order for my new custom nano. its going to be 20x24x13.5 tall. the guy asked me how i was going to be gluing the edges. i was under the impression that you use silicone as the adhesive and also as the sealent inside the tank. he had suggested using a locktite product and then sealing with silicone. of course everything has to inert and reefsafe. how have yall joined your edges?
thanks
matt

The adhesive should be a NON-TOXIC, 1-part acetoxy cure, 100% silicone rubber adhesive. (not sealant) How do you know it is non-toxic? FDA approval for food contact. Products you can use with confidence: Home Depot-- Dow Corning "DAP" Aquarium Sealant. (small tube, high price) Grainger's: Momentive/GE RTV108 (clear) RTV103 (black). Online: AGA's Aquarium Sealant, GE 1000 series, GE 1200, Dow Corning 732, 999A.

Would also recommend 7mm (5/16") glass for the sides, and 9mm (3/8") for the bottom of this tank.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited:
thank you sir. i told my lfs what i was doing and had them order me a caulk gun size tube of black silicone. i am assuming he got the right stuff but i will call back and check

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15424056#post15424056 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by uncleof6
The adhesive should be a NON-TOXIC, 1-part acetoxy cure, 100% silicone rubber adhesive. (not sealant) How do you know it is non-toxic? FDA approval for food contact. Products you can use with confidence: Home Depot-- Dow Corning "DAP" Aquarium Sealant. (small tube, high price) Grainger's: Momentive/GE RTV108 (clear) RTV103 (black). Online: AGA's Aquarium Sealant, GE 1000 series, GE 1200, Dow Corning 732, 999A.

Would also recommend 7mm (5/16") glass for the sides, and 9mm (3/8") for the bottom of this tank.

Regards,

Jim

Fastenal also carries the Momentive RTV's as well.

Back