How to keep a healthy BTA from splitting?

Frost_Hydra

I keep seeing these enormous BTA's (picture below) being sold on Live Aquaria. I have no idea how they get their BTAs so large without splitting. My BTA pretty much split when it doubled in size from when I originally purchased it. And I've heard they split whenever they get sufficient mass to do so for the sake of reproduction. Is there anyway to keep a perfectly healthy BTA to keep growing instead of splitting? is there some trick with water chemistry or is it just down to pure luck.

Attachments

• th-081120-005a.jpg
    th-081120-005a.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
I had a different anemone, but when I started feeding it larger amounts and more often, it got much bigger.

I agree with feeding as Michael said above. The other things are keeping it happy. Med flow, good lighting and very good water quality. One of the big reasons nems split is stress. Keep them happy.

a friend of mine has a lot and they split but they seem to stay close together so they look like one big anemone.

It's really up to the BTA. One of the things I've seen over the years is a clone line can start splitting at a quicker rate and consequently stay smaller. Also, don't feel you need to feed them. They're pulling nitrogen (ammonia and urea) and phosphates out of the water so making sure you're feeding your fish adequitely is more important IMO.

Back