How to keep acros healthy in a Quarentine fishless tank??

sensei

I am quarantining every coral and invertebrate that goes in my main dt in batches of 72 days for 2 reasons:
1.- be sure ich does not make it to main dt allowing time for any ich cyst to hatch and parasites to die after 24hrs because there is no fish in tank, and
2.-to provide observation time in new coral to make sure no other pests are introduced to main dt.

tank description:
qt tank is an independent 90g quarantine system with skimmer.
I have no GFO, no ATS, no vinager dosing and no pellets to control nutrients in this dt. I do not run filter socks nor have sponge filters in sump
tank has 2 mp40s and one maxspect gyre for flow and has 3 ecotech XR15pro led lights.

I dose coral powder food 3 x per week since I do not have any fish to provide nutrients for sps. To provide a varied nutrition for acros, I am just alternating between coral frenzy and reef roids powder. I dose half of the manufacturers recommended dose everytime.

I have had some ups and downs keeping my acros happy.
in my previous batch everything was going perfect for almost 2 months, nice PE and growth until everything changed for the worst and most frags died.
No changes in food or light schedule were done, so I rule these variables out.

I try to maintain my alk around 8 but the test kit I was using was not so good to show the color change so to confirm alk I bought the hanna digital checker and alk was 9.7 instead of 8.
I am thinking this was the factor that killed my acros and that the 2months that I was succesfull was because I managed to measure correctly and had alk of around 8 . does this make sense??

Now I have a 2ndo batch of acros in my qt dt
of 19 frags I introduced to the system only one bleached and one has lost color about 10 look very nice after almost 3 days in tank, nice PE, the rest do not show as much PE but look healthy and with nice color.

parameter tested 2 days ago were:
alk is 7.9 with hanna,
Mag 1340 ( I increased daily dose to higher mag slowly)
Cal 490 ( I reduced daily dose to lower cal slowly)
NO3 2.5ppm
PO4 0.15

I did a 10% WC to lower PO4 a bit, but even with this value no algae problems in quarantine tank.

What you sps experts think? any ideas or recommendations?
recommendations on Water Changes for this tank? how often, and how much?

if water was not good would acros have nice PE after 3 days of being in tank? or is it to early to tell??

Thanks for your replies

Back