How to keep Zoo's from changing color?

chinoxl3

Premium Member
What is the best way for keeping the color of Zoos from changing to brown? Twice already, I have bought Zoos and they turn brown with time. I seen some reefers that have amazing colors and the colors never change. Someone told me I had too much light. I have 2X55 actinic and 2X55 10K PC's and one 250W 10K MH in a 90 gallon. I am upgrading to 2X250W 20K MH next week. Is this an overkill?

Thanks for the input.

Try changing the 10k MH to a 14k or 20k..... when I switched mine my zoas colors came out more....

My lighting is 1 150w HQI 14k XM, and 2 x 55w 50/50 PC's..

Picture013.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture002.jpg

10k bulbs makes them grow faster but they will lose colors. I have 400w on 65g some of my zoas just 7" from lights they still have very nice colors. I have 20k xm and 65w pc actinic.

Couple of these from top of the rocks

yellow.jpg

zoa1.jpg

Nice colors blue, I hope the upgrade to 20K will help wiht the colors. As for food and flow, I have 3 MJ1200 with a redsea wavemaker and I feed two times a week DT phytoplankton, and cyclop-eeze. They are wide open so I know they are fine.

Blue, how long had you had them in your tank?

I think i got them about 5-6 months ago. 20k gives them slow grow but i rather to have nice color than fast grow :)

I am interested in this post and puzzled by it too. I have a 110gal high tank with a coral life system--duel 150w 10k's and 96watt compact attinics. I have a huge colony of zoos on the bottom of the tank--beautiful pink and brown. very close to the top of the tank I have two colonies that have lost their colours to brown.
I feed phytos and zoos every other day. So I am wondering if the brown factor is related to the light or whether like most of everything else --you have to treat it as an individual possessing its own likes

Some say that the quality of the water affects the colors. The water quality in my tank is zero down the board so I dont understand that either. Like capn mentioned, it could be an individual thing.

Back