How to protect a center brace?

-=Efrain=-

Ok so my old 125 six footer had no center brace because of the thick glass used.. But now my new 125 six footer has a center brace made out of plastic. I have a 250w DE light setup that I was using before and would like to continue to use it on this tank. The light will end up 4 inches above the center brace so my question is besides not placing the light directly above the center brace or placeing the light higher, is how can I protect the center brace so it doesn't get hot? And please don't respond with don't do it! I am looking for an alternative answer as I will not do it if some thing else can't be done safely.

I've seen a few people build triangular tents with foil on them to sit over the brace. No idea how well it works though.

I've never done it, but maybe some 1 5/8" unistrut (non slotted) notched with a saw to "cover" the brace? Hollow on the bottom, can withstand the heat, has air space between...just a thought...

I've seen a few people build triangular tents with foil on them to sit over the brace. No idea how well it works though.

That actually sounds like a good idea, build something to go over the center brace that will reflect heat.

That actually sounds like a good idea, build something to go over the center brace that will reflect heat.

So something like a piece of a reflector bent to cover the brace. That should be pretty easy to do. Wont you have a big dark spot in the tank though if the light is right above the brace?

he will have a line, but it wont be as shaded as you might think since he will have 2 other lights on the tank. It sucks having that brace but Efrain has to live with it, unless we can figure out a better way to brace the tank and get the most light in there.

We will see about the dark spot.. At 250w X 3 I feel it will be fine.. But I will see. I will try to cover the center brace with the above idea. I will also throw on a fan that will blow right along the center brace. I was also thinking about a triangle made of aluminum heat sinks with a fan blowing across..

How about wrapping the center brace with the material from those oven gloves.

The Ove Glove is perfect for the kitchen, barbeque and handling hot surfaces around the house. Interior layer is made of soft double knit cotton. Machine washable. The thermal properties of The Ove Glove outer layer, which is made of Nomex® and Kevlar® dramatically extend the time you can handle a hot object in your hands. The tough exterior of this glove forms a thermal isolation barrier, slowing the temperature increase in the interior layer of soft doubleknit cotton. When exposed to an open flame, the outer layer of glove does not catch fire and does not melt. The Ove Glove's outer layer is made of 86% Nomex® and 14% Kevlar®. Classified UL: Protective kitchen apparel as to heat and flame resistant only. Maximum surface temperature 540 degrees F.

Alvin HEAT BLOCK is an insulation compound with unique heat absorbing properties which insulate against heat transfer during welding, soldering, brazing or other heat treatment. The heat absorption properties protect closely soldered parts, valve gasketing, thin gauge metal, and other materials which could be damaged during repair or installation work. HEAT BLOCK is used to protect plastic drain pipes in close proximity to metal pipes being replaced or soldered. HEAT BLOCK prevents distortion to light gauge metals, protects rubber and plastic components, and painted or finished surfaces while soldering, brazing or welding.

This non-toxic material may be formed around or on the surface of metal, or spread onto surfaces which might be damaged by heat or flame during welding or soldering. It is easily removed by wiping with wet rags or running water.

I was also thinking about heavy duty "gutter" repair tape so protect against UV rays but I like your Black Acylic idea with a thin piece of aluminum in between.

I don't think it needs to be all that complicated. You only need to keep heat and UV off of the brace and I'm not sure that it's very important to keep UV off, but you get that for free anyway. Build a tent that will cover the brace out of most any cheap disposable material, then attach it at a couple of points with some non-conductive standoffs so the heat doesn't transfer from your tent to the brace. Sounds like a 5 minute project where 4 minutes are spent looking for materials to me.

I had a 400w mh over a center brace for over a year and nothing happened to it. I made sure the fans kept it from getting too hot.

Efrain cut the pvc and use that, im guessing it will also stay on there by itself. just wrap it up really good in aluminum or something else thats reflective.

I've never done it, but maybe some 1 5/8" unistrut (non slotted) notched with a saw to "cover" the brace? Hollow on the bottom, can withstand the heat, has air space between...just a thought...

I'd go with this too. I have 7/8'' strut holding my light fixture up works well , and it has a nice coat of paint keeps it from rusting. :thumbsup:

take a piece of 2" white pvc pipe and cut it on a table saw in half so you end up with two C shaped pieces and set one on top of the center brace . i have used this on all my tanks and it works great .

Back