how to quiet a koralia?

kaiboshi

I've got a pair of koralia 3's on a wavemaker. I know they aren't supposed to be on the wavemaker. Is there a way to decrease or eliminate their startup noise? It's not constant but it's annoying.

Here's another one...is the noise from the the impeller hitting the end of the housing or the base of the motor? I believe I know how the one maxi-jet mod works with the airline tubing.

Anywho, information or links would be beautiful =]

Try cutting a 1/8" tubing or the standard size used for air tubing.

Cut it to size to fit above the metal pin opening between the impeller and the plastic housing.

That rattling sound you hear is due to the impellar magnet kick starting it.

I don't see anything inside the magnetic hole to cause that rattling noise.

Basically, what you're trying to do is make the impellar stationary in a sense. Just enough for it to rotate.

Yes I've tried this, works well but I removed it since. My pumps are constantly running aside from when I shut them off to view the corals or feed.

Cheers.

I just did this to my Koralia knock offs. They chatter when the wavemaker turns them on right? Just cut some tubing to fit between the impeller and the housing and slip it on the impeller rod(spindle). I used the plastic rod from a spraybottle. I cut it to lengthand then plugged it in to make sure it spins freely. Has worked like a charm since. My only complaint would be that they sometimes run in reverse.

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the rattling is caused by the impeller wanting to start in reverse but bouncing back and forth until the magnet has it running the right way.

That sound was driving me up the wall. I just scratched the wavemaker idea and run them 24/7.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14840624#post14840624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kaylo
I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the rattling is caused by the impeller wanting to start in reverse but bouncing back and forth until the magnet has it running the right way.

That sound was driving me up the wall. I just scratched the wavemaker idea and run them 24/7.

You could be right.

Because when the koralia's start they don't generate any flow and make a lot of noise.

But once they do the pump is already working as intended. Flow being generated and no more rattling noise.

Don't Koralia's burn out really quick if you turn them on and off frequently? I do believe it's really bad for them.

Back