How to raise the pH slightly? Numbers inside

Jmcgreef

Hello,

I have been checking my water parameters daily for the past 4 days, as I have recently added my first livestock to the tank. My pH tends to read around 7.8-8.1 (given that the difference in color shades between the range is very similar and near indecipherable). My alkalinity reads 8-9 dkh and calcium 460.

What is the general consensus on what I should use to raise my pH marginally to 8.1-8.4? I am operating under the assumption that the target range is the recommended/ideal reading... so if I am mistaken please disagree.

Thanks

You don't say when you are taking the readings, as pH rises through the day as lights are on, and drops through the lights out period.
In any case, you can increase the surface turbulence, and/or get a fresher air source to the water's surface to aid in the gas exchange.
This is especially true when the home is shut up for heating/cooling due to weather, so less fresh air is entering the home.

How are you testing it ?

7.8 to 8.1 is fine. I prefer 8.1 to 8.4 personally but the range you noted even assuming an accurate measure wouldn't motivate me to take much action beyond some steps below:

Raising ph is a matter of limiting CO2 in the tank via:

more fresh air in the room
more surface area and gas exchange
and or a CO2 scrubber attached to the skimmer air intake.

Do not use buffers to raise it as that will raise the alkalinity and result in the same pH in a brief period of time.

as everyone else has mentioned, I wouldn't bother chasing the number if you're 7.8-8.1... I tested consistently at 7.8 for over 6 months and never had any harm to my reef.

That said, if you choose to chase the numbers tmz's post is spot on. I built a DIY CO2 scrubber cheaply and attached it to my skimmer, and it did exactly what it was supposed to (raised my PH by reducing the CO2 in my tank) I ran it for almost a year and then just stopped... I didn't see my coral get any better with my ph testing at 8.1 and it hasn't gotten any worse now that it's around 7.8 again.

Watch your livestock. If your livestock looks fine, don't worry about PH.

How are you testing it ?

7.8 to 8.1 is fine. I prefer 8.1 to 8.4 personally but the range you noted even assuming an accurate measure wouldn't motivate me to take much action beyond some steps below:

Raising ph is a matter of limiting CO2 in the tank via:

more fresh air in the room
more surface area and gas exchange
and or a CO2 scrubber attached to the skimmer air intake.

Do not use buffers to raise it as that will raise the alkalinity and result in the same pH in a brief period of time.

What are some ways to get more suface area/gas exhchange?
My pH was low all the time(7.6-7.8)
I found by using a 1/2 tube to my skimmer to outside I get much better numbers(7.8-8.1). My tank looks great and has growth. I used a C02 media to scrub the air before it enters my skimmer and it did raise pH shortly but burned up so fast(3 weeks). I would just get a 1/2 tube outside cleanly. Do not undersize the air line.

Everyone has pretty much said it all. I can't open my windows too much because I have asthma and I rely on my hepa filter system for my house. Naturally, I will have lower pH in my tank.

The one thing I could add is when you need to dose as your system starts requiring more nutrients, you can start with kalk. It keeps my pH up. If you can open your windows then ignore previous paragraph.

Alex

Back