How to reduce phosphate ?

carlosmos

Hello.

I have a 2 years aquarium (300 liters) that generally have zero po4 and some nitrate. But during summer both parameters increase too much... 100 no3 and 0.20 po4 y temperature and skimming issues.

Little by little, adding bacterias and regular water changes the values reduce since 0 no3 and 0.12 po4. Using phosphate resines too ...

But that's all. No posible to reduce more po4, and cyano appears. My system is very simple, sump just have the skimmer Nyos 160 and 1 matrix liter. Plus a reactor with po4 resines.

What options I have?
- take of the matrix trying to increase the no3 value and no have nitrate limitation to reduce the po4?

- use other brand of po4 resines?

- Add potassium nitrate?

Thank you to all the comments and support

Note: excuse me if my English is not correct. Is not my native language.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

What test kit are you using? Yes cyano appear due to nutrient imbalance. Imo stop any carbon dosing and just water change. Increase flow. You may also want to look at you lighting if you are using t5.. increase feeding/feed mysis maybe? In my case i just did 30% waterchange for 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm using Hanna ultra low range. Yes, I'm using t5 and the bulbs maybe have 4-5 months. No extra feed. No carbon source.

might I suggest reducing carbon dosing to nudge your nitrates up a little. zero is for ultra low nutrient SPS tanks, but most mixed tanks can do well with NO3 at 1 - 2ppm with PO4 at 0.08 - 0.12ppm. SPS dominant more like 0.25 - 0.50 NO3 and 0.01 - 0.02 PO4.

My source for these numbers is Red Sea, these are debatable, but they have done a lot more research than me. When I am on target for their mixed reef range, cyano growth really slows down to a tolerable level for me.

Also, cyano can get really good at finding forms of nitrogen that doesn't show up in test kits. That's why it can out compete other life when NO3 is zero and PO4 is present.

I'd probably try a bit of GFO (like PhosBan or RowaPhos), but carbon dosing (vinegar or vodka) might work well, too.

Is your tank being exposed to any outside light source, ie a window? I noticed an outbreak of cyano twice. Both times it was the time of year when the sunlight directly hits the DT for a period of time through a window.

No se termal lights. I think is for the high phosphates values. The reason is to know why my phosphates are at this level 0.12 and nitrate at 0.0

How to reduce it?

GFO in a reactor can reduce phos pretty quickly. It can be messy with the granules when it comes time to swap them out. Others have reported GFO negatively impacted their coral vibrance/extension but I did not experience that when I used it. Another option is chaeto in a reactor, which is what I am currently using with positive results after just a couple of weeks.

I second the chaeto reactor but you must have at least a little nitrate for the chaeto to absorb phosphate.

Be mindful that the API test for nitrate may measure 0, yet there is sufficient nitrate to allow for rapid chaeto growth. This is my case and has been now for three or four weeks since the reactor has been set up.

I've don't three harvests. Typically every 4th or 5th day. Definitely noticing a difference in the DT appearance. Dropped back on the Vodka/Vinegar solution dosing and now my water clarity is improving greatly.

I agree that a measurement of zero nitrate can allow algae to grow well. I suspect that the tank will need a bit of nitrate added in this case, in order to reduce the phosphate level, because the phosphate level is fairly high, but that only is a guess.

I decide to test PlaktonPlus. Is a German company. It's a green cyano bacteria who eat red cyano bacteria. Looks too positive! We will see...

Back