How to remove a frag from the frag plug.

dogstar74

Premium Member
Well the subject gives it away. I love the frag. Hate the plug. How do I get the polyps off the plug without hurting it and get rid of that stupid square plug?

Thanks for the help!

SmallZoaFrag.jpg

well in due time the plug will not even be see it. i have many in my tank and most you cant even see. down the road i can remove the plug and leave the new growth so i can put them somewhere else.

Otherwise just use a really sharp scalpel and cut a small area under it and mount it on something nicer. I'd just leave it, as that way you don't risk it's health if ya screw up.

well perhaps i could remodel the plug with tools, dremil, pliers etc. I'll just have to see if I can do it without heating up the block.

Any other suggestions?

Are they on a rubble or have they already grown on to the tile??? If they already attached to the tile i would just let it be. If they are on a rubble and glued on to the tile i would just use a bone cutter and pry it off.

you can use some bone cutters to snip off the sides that do not have growth so it wont take so long to get grown over

I really dont understand why people choose to stick frags on plugs such as those as its impossible to fit into a tank without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11650388#post11650388 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aussie_hippie_2
Cause it's safe and the easy.

as apposed to using bits of live rock? which are non-safe & hard to work with? :)

I just use bits of live rock/alfra grog that can be placed seemlessly into any tank.

zoa01.jpg

Agreed, I HATE frag plugs & discs, they look terrible in a tank. Which is why I always frag on live rock rubble. And the cool thing is, most of the time the LFS will give it to you for free if you only get 5-10 pieces at a time.

Depends on if you're farming or not IMO. Biggest prob w/frag plugs though is most of the time they don't have to be as big as people make them.

I have an idea. Use that Aquastick epoxy putty to put around the tile and make it look more like a rock! And you could then attach it to a piece of live rock at the same time!

Back