How to rid my Rastas of aiptasia?!?!

Biocubehqi

So today I noticed my rasta frag has a new growth.... A stupid aiptasia has decided to walk into the center of our Rastas... How do I kill it without hurting my Rastas?

This past week we found a huge aiptasia in our rocks.. First one in over 7 months.. So we went out and bought a new bottle of the red sea aiptasia-x, treated it.. And thought we had successfully killed it. Now today we see 3 or 4 more in the same spot the big one was, and another on our rasta frag!:headwally: I don't know what to do now... Don't know how to kill the aiptasia on our zoas without hurting them, and why this new Red Sea stuff didn't do the trick.. When we had our first aiptasia issue shortly after setup we used Blue Life Aiptasia Rx and it was one shot one kill. No issues with them coming back, let alone multiplying..
Any recommendations?

Crazy, I had the same problem with Rastas and aiptasia. :) I went and bought some peppermint shrimp and the aiptasia was gone in a week. In the past I have taken the frag out of the tank, and manually scraped the aiptasia off the frag plug. Then in another small container of tank water I rinsed the frag so all the crap the aiptasia spits out was rinse away then put the frag back into the tank.

Ive tried pep shrimp and bergia nudis. Both have disapeered overnight. Im not sure what in my tank is eating them, but something must be.

Anyways, when i get aptasia that pops up on a coral or near one i just nuke it with aptasia X. I turn off all flow in the tank for 45 minutes after treating, then turn it back on and blow off the extra aptasia X. If you leave it on the zoa/paly mat it will destroy the tissue. Ive done this a few times, and so far have only burnt part of my paly colony....when i left the aptasia X on over night.

Well I def got some on the disc, it turned brown and closed. But is now opening back up, don't know if it will make t or not. Will keep updated...

aiptasia destruction

aiptasia destruction

my copperband butterfly has destroyed a colony of above 100 aiptasia in a matter of 3 months. It just took the time for him to get a little older/bigger, and he ate every single last one of them. I'm not saying they all do this, but mine did a wonderful job. And he looks very good :)

I had tried peppermint shrimps and aiptasia X before, the second working pretty good, but it was an endless battle...

My tank is too small for a copperband, always wanted one... It's unfortunate to live bellow poverty.... The rasta that had it on its disc is so far looking good. It looks like it may rebound. I took a turkey baster and sucked most of the paste off... I only had two aptasia when I first setup the tank. I had o e in my refugium but was to lazy to kill it. Boy did image a huge mistake. I killed five today and found more.....

I also found red bugs... Explains my sps problems... Maybe when hockey season is over work will slow down enough I can take care of another problem...

I had a pep.shrimp that thing went rogue , it was killing snails d harrasing corals... My tank is to small for them greedy things.

Back