how to run carbon in a sump-free system

jbardwel

I have figured out a good, safe way of running carbon in a sump-free system and since I haven't seen it posted I thought I would. Just get two small magnets like sure-grip by algae free, put one into two media bags, with one bag inside of another. I use Small Aquarium Mesh Media Filter Bags - High Flow 500 Micron - 3" by 8" with Drawstrings for Activated Carbon - Reusable Fish Tank Charcoal Filter Bag from amazon but any sturdy bag will do.
https://www.amazon.com/Small-Aquari...yeLuLnDCZ8Ivnkc8vXD0g&hsa_cr_id=7071496890401
Then let the second magnet stick onto the first, this prevents carbon from coming between the two magnets.
Then fill with carbon, it is important to use a carbon that if it gets loose in the tank it will not jam your pumps, ie DO NOT use a gritty hard carbon like marineland black diamond, The best carbon to use for tank safety is MatrixCarbon from seachem as this is little spherical balls that seem very unlikely to jam anything, also fine is Bulk Premium ROX 0.8 Carbon from Bulk Reef Supply. Then close the inner bag first with a the drawstring tie it off, then with a shortened removable zip tie like this one from amazon: Cambridge Cable Ties Zip Ties 8 Inch 50 Lb 100 Pieces Releasable Reusable Standard Duty UV Black
Then seal the second bag the same way. When you are ready to install separate the magnets place the bag in the water near a powerhead with the magnet flat against the glass, place the other magnet on the outside of the glass and drag the bag into position near a powerhead so it gets flow. I am paranoid about double bagging the carbon and having the bags ziptied shut because in an early rendition of this idea I just used a panty hose for the carbon, it eventually broke, dumped carbon into the tank and clogged all the tunze powerheads and tunze 9012 skimmer sending the tank into anaerobic death. However the setup I describe is very unlikely to do that.

Last edited:
the magnets are to hold it to the glass

the magnets are to hold it to the glass

one magnet is inside the bag, the other on the outside of the glass, it holds the bag in place near the powerhead

What about a HOB reactor and run carbon through that.

^^^This^^^

JMO, but the last thing I would want in my tank is a bag of whatever. Additionally, the flow through a bag hanging someplace will be minimal so it's effectiveness is questionable.

I used a TLF 150 with reversed flow for carbon in a 60 cube back in the day.

Back