how to save the tank

aliyesami

my fault . one morning I noticed that suddenly 98% of corals were dead over night .. upon investigating i discovered that I had unplugged the sulphur denitrator circulation pump at some point mistakenly . when i plugged it back in i could smell a very strong odor of rotten egg from far away , meaning it was dripping hydrogen sulphide in my sump.
my question is how do i remove sulphur from the tank , i have done massive water changes . .changed almost 90% of my 90 gallon tank but the crumbled corals are not reviving and i am getting high readings for ammonia and nitrates . looks like the hydrogen sulphide killed all the anaerobic bacteria also ??
I have put some microbelift niteout bacteria starter but now i am getting red spots all over the rock too early to tell what it is.

I am desperately looking to test the water for sulphur but on web all test kits for sulphur is for fresh water .

NOTE: for some strange reason my Elegant, open brain , bubble corals got back to life 100% but rest of everything died . The fish were saved also.
maybe because as soon as i noticed corals dying i double dozed the tank with Prime.

NOTE2: Its not letting me attach the pictures , any way i can share the pics with you ?

Last edited:
Don't give up totally on stony coral. I've had dead coral skeleton put out new growth---your 'revived' corals should be fine. I'd do 20% water change a week until satisfied it's ok. You might google 'water filter remove sulphur' and just put a good unit on house water if that is your problem. Well water sometimes has this problem.

hi SK8r i am not using house water for my aquarium, the sulphur in the tank came from the denitrator . so putting a filter on the house water will not help me.
do you mean change 20% of water every week ?
also the big leather coral is disintegrating ,wont it release toxins in the water ? should i take it out or leave it in ?

Will a LOT of carbon work?

If you have a holding tank, I would move everything into it to give it a clean start. Also I would get rid of all your water, and add fresh and monitor quality over a a few days

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I'd start with the largest water change you can manage. and then do another 20-30% every few days for a week or two or until things seems to be looking better.

As Sk8r said - just because your stony corals look "dead" - don't count them out just yet.

If the leather is truly disintegrating at the minimum I'd move it to a hospital tank if possible because yes, it can easily trash the tank as it dies.

jm.02

Back