How to siphon detritus from sump if on the floor?

Briankook

Hi all.

I was just wondering how everyone siphons out the detritus from their sumps if it is on the floor?

Obviously, a "siphon" won't work. And I don't want to have to drain the entire sump every time just to clean the bottom.

Any suggestions without using a shop vac?

Thanks

Brian

I use a smaller power head on some vinyl tube. Just cut all flow through the sump and pump detritus into a filter sock.

I suppose I can use an old maxijet and mod it as a "power siphon"...

I'll just pump it into a 5 gallon bucket when I do water changes.

I just use a powerhead and stir everything up right before a water change. Run a filter sock for a few hours to polish the water and your set. Some of the corals would go nuts when I did this, great polyp extension and everything.

Actually if you use a small tube you can get a siphon going. Its a little tricky, but thats what I do. My sump is on the bottom of my stand which is maybe 2" higher than the floor, and thats enough for me to get a siphon. All you need to do is get the outlet lower than where its sucking from and it should work. Its just a little tough to get started sometimes.

Hose on the inlet for a power head of your choice (I like the maxijet).
Hose on the outlet.
Attach filter sock to outlet hose or feed to bucket (depending on head height of pump chosen).
Run powerhead and move inlet hose along bottom of sump.
Problem solved.

I use a Maxijet 1200 and a 1" hose on the inlet and a 3/8" hose on the outlet.

I just use a powerhead and stir everything up right before a water change. Run a filter sock for a few hours to polish the water and your set. Some of the corals would go nuts when I did this, great polyp extension and everything.

This is what I do also, my SPS love detritus!!!

Excellent suggestions! I am going to mod one of my maxijets, but I am not going to use a filter sock.
I will simply suck out 5 gallons worth and replace with new saltwater.

I wonder if they sell a "powered siphon" meant for instances like these?

Spleify, that is a great idea also. I only have a handheld shopvac, so I have to wait until I get a biggie...

Back