How to take out overflow box without losing suction?

Salty Brother

The inside of my overflow box is disgusting, it has lots of algae, and bubble algae. I just cant clean it well enought when its in there so I was wondering if I could do this. When the return was still on I would slip one of thoes little plastic cups under it so it would suck on to it, then shut off the pump. Then just take the overflow box off.
Will this work?
Thanks,
Patrick
Anyother suggestions welcome :D

I just turn off the return, when water stops flowing to sump I pull the siphon tube, then remove the box. Clean it, then put it back in. Put siphon tube back with a section of airline tube in it and turn on the return pump. When water starts filling the box give a suck till the siphon starts. That's it. Who's the jarhead by the way. I was in from 74 to 81. But once a Marine always a Marine! Semper Fi!

OK, Ill probably just end up doing that. My brother is the Marine in our family, he actually just got back from Iraq. Semper Fi

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9236313#post9236313 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Salty Brother
OK, Ill probably just end up doing that. My brother is the Marine in our family, he actually just got back from Iraq. Semper Fi
Tell him Thank You!

Will do, I tore apart my drain system today and cleaned it all out, the tank was actually getting near overflowing cause all the crap that was stuck in the strainer. Now it works perfectly again.
Thanks for the help!

Back