How to trade safely?

1DeR9_3Hy

I am trading a rather expensive skimmer to someone on here for an expensive pump. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this so that I dont get burnt and i can assure them they are not going to get screwed either?

trading is always a touchy thing...

because your or his view on something in good condition may be different!!

the best advice would be lots of pictures and as much comunication as possible..

talking on the phone and having a pre agreement that if you are not satisfied ,is he ready to ship ,trade back or compensate..then all that would be lost is shipping costs..

again comunication is the key..give as much info as possible and don't hide any possible probleme you may know of... not syaing there is :) just cover all angles before hand...

then if you feel good about it,ship away but make sure to have tracking on both side and also make it clear on the methode you want to ship and have ship..

you dont want to agree on a 2 day delivery and get stuck waiting for snail mail or vice versa..

having good feed back here or elsewhere helps build trust..

for the ones who want to be extra safe:spin1:you can always take a video and have a witness there when you open the box in case it got broken on the way,so that the other end will not say you did it and want to screew him over..

good discription/communication and trust

hope this helps
steff

Insurence

Insurence

Trade verbally see his pump pumping same for your skimmer if both parties satisfied physically trade .Can post video of pump and skimmer working then decide.

Ronny

Good stuff YT. I think we are in a pretty simple trade, my skimmer is NIB and his pump is 6 months old with light usage.

Thanks guys!

What happened

What happened

Your the same as me I trust very few always worried about getting burnt. Maybe because we've been burnt when we covered all the bases and still got third degree burns. I want the ole days back ! :fish2:

Ive been burnt on here once before on a light, and I had insurance on it! But you gotta role the dice to play the game you know.

Well, im a bit nervous.

James (Burbarry), if you read this no worrys. Just get a hold of me, i still believe your a good guy and have no reason to believe otherwise but you have to admit not getting tracking info or a response to 3 of my last PM's would have you a bit nervous as well.

I shipped UPS, the delivery is scheduled for Friday. If i dont hear from him by tomorrow, is it wrong on my part to reschedule the delivery for next week?

Have been burned by folks before. They get you money/stuff and then disappear. With money you have options. Trading items, you roll the dice. Life does get in the way sometimes. Computers die, family emergencies, etc. He may not have access to contact you. Just from my experience.......I would be uneasy also.

It looks like i was almost scammed by this guy.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2123775

I checked the package delivery, and it shows its in DC out for delivery. I live in Michigan....

He had me ship to David Barry, he says his name is Juan Lopez. Too many red flags, i am having the package intercepted and shipped back to me.

Anyone interested in a Hydor 400 skimmer, brand new only shipped twice?

Buying from a private source is always risky. Even some online vendors are dicey at times. I would never buy a product from a private source unless u see it firsthand. Money and product should swap at the same place or no. The only time is when u know their reputation is credible from someone you trust. Bought a few frags from a guy on another forum he took my money and claimed he shipped it. No tracking number either. Good thing PayPal stepped up and refunded.

Yeah my new rule for trading online is you have to be known to me before the transaction. I.E. someone on here who has been posting for years and i recognize there name/avatar. As simple as that sounds, it would have saved my butt in this situation.

Man I really hope you get your skimmer back! I was burned by someone on another forum a couple years ago and that was a money for goods deal. Only it was my goods and his money. I hate cons!

It looks like my intercept request is fulfilled, i should be getting my skimmer back.

It also looks like Burbarry (Juan Lopez/James Barry) has scammed atleast 2 other users on here out of a MP60 and a LED light.

I hope more people see this thread, i already made a post in his "good bye" thread and also in the trade feedback section. Its not too late to have your shipments returned if you used UPS or FedEx.

That's great news! Score one for the victim for once!
Sorry you had to go through this, guys like this joker give all the honest hobbyist a smear.

I posted on the DFWMAS site where he was active and lived near most of those people...hoping to get something worthwhile there.

One of my theorys is that he is using this James Barry guys name to scam with and James may not even realize it (if he exists).

Back