How to trap a pistol shrimp?

N1ceDrgn

Would anyone here have recommendations on how to accopmlish this? I do have one in my main 125g tank but I have 'never' seen the critter. You can hear him but no one has ever seen it.
With the changes I've made in my tank and the possibility that I will have to tear it down, I'd like to save it. If I can find it of course.

I have caught one by cutting the top off of a pet bottle and turning it around and making a trap with it. I baited it and after a few tries I caught him. I had been seeing him though, I think he was out because he was getting hungry. If your's is getting plenty of food, you might have a tough time trapping him.

That's just it, I only know approximately 'where' in the tank he is. He's always been on the left end of my tank. Where it is exactly, is anyone's guess.
The bizarre part of all this, I have moved the tank once already when I moved from the apartment I was in to the house I'm renting right now. I was concerned for the critter that I had never seen and it apparently transported just fine. Even though I had no idea where it was.
When we moved my tank, we drained and emptied everything minus the refugium. All the sand, rock, water, everything was out except for the one area we left (which turned out to be a real pain). After getting things up and running again, it turned up again in the same area. Even though the rock work was different.. ??

Back