How woudl you stock my 55g after the "massacre"

SteveJakubiec

In Memoriam
Well, 4 of my 8 fish died within one night, and I have no clue why, all my parameters are in check, and they just died.

Bullet Goby: Seems least affected, ate the most
Clownfish: One seems weak, other one is still doing good, one ate some mysis.
Leopard Wrasse: Face looks like she got attacked, or that could be sand, still kicking, and eating.
Hawkfish: Dead (I Loved that little guy)
Lubbock's Fairy Wrasse: Dead
Tomini Tang: Dead
Tri Color Fairy: Dead, had a hole in his stomach.

How would you stock it for future reference, seeing if all my fish that are still alive make it through?

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Bullet Goby
1 Leopard Wrasse (Female)

whatever you do I would just start with 1 fish and see how it does at first. The hawkfish are usually bulletproof. must have been something funky going through

Yeah, I'd say you were definitely overstocked for a tank that size. Things can go bad very quickly in those circumstances. 3-4 peaceful fish with a max size of 2-3 inches is about all you'd want in a 55 gallon tank.

As far as the cause of your problems, it would be helpful to know more about the tank (age, filtration, sand, rock, lighting, other livestock, etc.). If the tank smelled, you can be assured that all the parameters were not in check. Trust your senses (sight, smell) over a test kit any day.

I would definitely wait awhile before adding anything. Once your ready I would add a dwarf angel, and one other small fish.

Tank was 6 and 1/2 months old. Filtration was a ASM g-1 skimmer, Fluval 405 Canister filter running carbon/chemi pure, and a DIY Sump in the process.

45 lbs of live rock.

Other livestock besides fish were: some corals, 5 turbo snails, 3 scarlet hermits, 1 emerald crab.

I think before you worry about future stocking you need to figure out what happened to the existing stocking.

I agree with Playa. Sure, you want to think toward restocking, but get that sump going, and ditch the cannister. Not familiar with the skimmer, but assume it works ok---one rated for 120 g would be right.
Can you describe the smell? Rotten eggs? Gasoline? Dead stuff? Oil?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12910832#post12910832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Playa-1
I think before you worry about future stocking you need to figure out what happened to the existing stocking.
:) +1. Either an ammonia spike, high temp, diseased fish , etc?

You know---the hole-in-side stuff and so many dead---have you checked for a mantis in the live rock?

hole in the stomach could have been crabby's eating on it after it died or you have some kind of predator in the tank. Don't mantis shirmp snap?
I only have 5 fish in my 75. I have a coral beauty, and it is a model citizen. He and my YT are BFFs'

I thought of a mantis but figured carion eater. Since so many died I'm betting on water issue. Low O2, ammonia ,heat.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12916634#post12916634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
I thought of a mantis but figured carion eater. Since so many died I'm betting on water issue. Low O2, ammonia ,heat.

carrion eater:lol:

Gotta be the water issue. Maybe metal contaminates, something rusting, airborne, etc.

Last edited:
Back