How would you figure acrylic thickness for a sump?

Dave Thebrewguy

Obviously, you could just use the same material that you would use for a tank of the same size, but that seems like overkill since the baffles offer significant reinforcement. Could I just consider each chamber a separate tank and select material that would be adequate for the largest chamber?
I'm looking into building a 25"x16"x16"H sump with a 12" baffle about 10" from one end and another baffle perpendicular to that so that the other 2 chambers are one behind the other. Essentially the baffles would form a "T." This makes the largest chamber 16"x10"x16"H and the other chambers 15"x9"x16"H and 15"x7"x16"H. Baffles would be probably 12" high with weirs cut into them in appropriate locations. Water level would be no more than 11" but, of course, I would want it to be strong enough to be brim full in case of any failure that could cause it to overflow.

Dave Thebrewguy

3/8" it is! The question remains, how do we arrive at that conclusion?

I'd really been hoping I could get away with 1/4" since I have some laying around. I figured it might be a possibility since my old wet/dry was made of 1/4" and was also 16" tall and close in footprint at 24"x12". I can certainly go with 3/8" for my next sump, but I'm still wondering how we find the proper material. I've found a few calculators for tanks, but the baffles must add some support, I just have no idea how much they add. Is it similar to a euro brace on a tank? Figure the chambers individually? How do we do this?

fyrfytr

I am wondering the same thing...how do you figure out thickness? Looking at a DIY sump, small stand need to be creative