How would you stock a 120-125 gallon reef tank?!

With fish and coral?

Sorry for the smart remark. It really does depend on what you want to stock it with. Why don't you post a stocking list and have posters remark on whether it will work or not.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to get any idea of different ways to stock it xD to see which I like better, And I'm more interested in the fish stocking rather than the coral

wow, you guys are being really helpful.

I'd go like this. Granted I have not done any real research on larger tanks yet.

Hippo or powder blue tang
2 clowns(probably would save the money up for something like a picasso/snowcasso perc)
5 Banggai Cardinals
1 green clown goby
1 ywg/pistol pair
some type of algae blenny
Mandarin
Marine Betta

Like I said, no real experience, but I might try a dwarf angel, like a coral beauty or something

Then that would be it.

I'd go like this. Granted I have not done any real research on larger tanks yet.

2 clowns(probably would save the money up for something like a picasso/snowcasso perc)
5 Banggai Cardinals
1 green clown goby
1 ywg/pistol pair
Mandarin
Marine Betta

Like I said, no real experience, but I might try a dwarf angel, like a coral beauty or something

Then that would be it.

Thank youu! Finally an idea!

A pair of picasso clowns,

3-5 anthias

Melanurus wrasse

yellow coris wrasse

midas blenny

royal gramma

125g

2 clowns (false percs)
masked rabbitfish
purple tang
orange spotted sleeper goby
flame angel
royal gramma
cleaner wrasse
exquisite wrasse
fairy wrasse
powder brown tang
mandarin goby
red firefish
purple firefish

potential issues with my stock list --

flame angels are potential coral nippers, I have not seen this but all of the dwarf angels are hit or miss

Masked rabbitfish can get pretty large (I might need to find a new home eventually). So far, he is healthy and happy after 1 yr.

Cleaner wrasse are not very hardy (better options available). I have been lucky with this one and have had him for 6+ months.

Mandarin - add to mature tank with large pod population only (fuge helps a lot)

Lots of fish - make sure you have a good skimmer

5 Banggai Cardinals
1 green clown goby
1 ywg/pistol pair
Mandarin
Marine Betta

Then that would be it.

Not a bad list - but I would replace the cardinals with something different or cut back the number and add more color. I had three in my tank - and they were pretty boring. Also some of my only losses (bad stock, I know others that bough some of the same stock and none survived more than a few days).

thanks for the kind words. I have yet to have one, but just seeing them in the store, I love cardinals. I know not most people's cup of tea.

I was kind of going beginner as well, and did not do too much with jumpers. I would love to have some of the really cool fish, like more wrasses or a jawfish, and the like, but they are very known jumpers. I am fairly new, and none of my ideas have gone anywhere near stocking a big tank like that, so I have not looked at many of the more-often seen fish in larger tanks.

What would you add to the list of:
1 Red Scooter Dragonet
1 Orange-Back Fairy Wrasse
1 Yellow Tang
2 Black and White False Percula

For 120 reef?

id have to say a purple tang instead of some stated above...if your saving for a picasso, might as well save for a black tang....love the fish...wish i had a real job and wasnt in college or one would be swimming in my tank.....id also look at some triggers (pinktail, niger, blue throat) those are sorta reef safe....

id have to say a purple tang instead of some stated above...if your saving for a picasso, might as well save for a black tang....love the fish...wish i had a real job and wasnt in college or one would be swimming in my tank.....id also look at some triggers (pinktail, niger, blue throat) those are sorta reef safe....

I'd be afraid to have a very expensive fish that it would die! lol

thanks for the kind words. I have yet to have one, but just seeing them in the store, I love cardinals. I know not most people's cup of tea.

I was kind of going beginner as well, and did not do too much with jumpers. I would love to have some of the really cool fish, like more wrasses or a jawfish, and the like, but they are very known jumpers. I am fairly new, and none of my ideas have gone anywhere near stocking a big tank like that, so I have not looked at many of the more-often seen fish in larger tanks.

The cardinals are nice looking fish - but mine behaved pretty much like you see in the store tanks - hovered in one spot during the day. They are more nocturnal - so not much action when the lights are on. This also brings up some interesting feeding issues for those without a large pod population.

Now- I did lose mine within a week (had a group of three) - so they were either sick from the store or I acclimated poorly. This may have influenced their behavior.

My opinion is that they would be good for smaller tanks - but might get lost in a larger setting.

On the plus side - they are one of the simpler fish to breed in captivity. I have read that it can be done in your DT with little effort (compared to other species).

As for jumpers - yea, they are a pain- but really any fish can jump. My rabbitfish disappeared one day - I thought something really bad was happening to the tank(another fish went MIA a week earlier). I check the overflow - there he is - with the other missing fish.

Back