HR669 please sign now.

SEAREEF

Premium Member
Hey all my Reef brothas and sisters out there dont forget this bill that will kill our hobby .. please check this out and make a choice. From what I get out of it they want to ban all wildlife that is not from the USA, time is running out this needs to be done now heres the link
http://www.nohr669.com/dosomething.htm

I wouldn't worry about it.

From the bill summary...

"Provides procedures for issuance and expansion of a list of nonnative wildlife species approved for importation and a list of nonnative wildlife species that are prohibited."

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14803208#post14803208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ihooklow
I wouldn't worry about it.

From the bill summary...

"Provides procedures for issuance and expansion of a list of nonnative wildlife species approved for importation and a list of nonnative wildlife species that are prohibited."

this bill will hurt our industry not to mention the reptile industry,
while you and I may enjoy fish others out there enjoy reptiles

I sent my emails. I would definitely worry about this if your a member of RC. We obviously like our imported animals. =)

Do it, special interest groups with too much time and money can ruin it all for us. It will only take you a few minuites now, easier than a march or protest later....

Been sending e-mails out about these for a while now - they've been trying to pass petitions for a long time against reptiles and just recently moved into marine life.

Mainly stems from all the reticulated pythons loose in Florida, I think.

and zebra mussels

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h111-669

SEC. 2. PURPOSE.
The purpose of this Act is to establish a risk assessment process to prevent the introduction into, and establishment in, the United States of nonnative wildlife species that will cause or are likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to other animal speciesÃ"¢ health or human health.
SEC. 3. RISK ASSESSMENT PROCESS FOR IMPORTATION OF NONNATIVE WILDLIFE SPECIES.
(a) In General- The Secretary of the Interior, acting through the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, shall promulgate regulations that establish a process for assessing the risk of all nonnative wildlife species proposed for importation into the United States, other than nonnative wildlife species that are included in the list of approved species issued under section 4.
(b) Factors To Be Considered- The regulations promulgated under subsection (a) shall include consideration of--
(1) the identity of the organism to the species level, including to the extent possible specific information on its subspecies and genetic identity;
(2) the native range of the species;
(3) whether the species has established or spread, or caused harm to the economy, the environment, or other animal species or human health in ecosystems in or ecosystems that are similar to those in the United States;
(4) the likelihood that environmental conditions suitable for the establishment or spread of the species exist in the United States;
(5) the likelihood of establishment of the species in the United States;
(6) the likelihood of spread of the species in the United States;
(7) the likelihood that the species would harm wildlife resources in the United States;
(8) the likelihood that the species would harm native species that are rare or native species that have been listed as threatened species or endangered species in the United States under the Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16 U.S.C. 1531 et seq.);
(9) the likelihood that the species would harm habitats or ecosystems in the United States;
(10) the likelihood that pathogenic species or parasitic species may accompany the species proposed for importation; and
(11) other factors important to assessing the risks associated with the species, consistent with the purpose under section 2.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14805758#post14805758 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ihooklow
Looks good to me. Does anyone have a link to where to sign in support?

Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE

its in my first post thanks for changing your mind

I mean in support of the HR...

Does anyone have a website I can sign onto to let my congressman know I support HR 669?

Thanks in advance,

I would like to agree that we should vote no but I dont think I am understanding this one. Bills are full of lingo that confuses me but I did find this in there, "Authorizes the Secretary to issue permits authorizing otherwise prohibited importation for scientific research, for medical, accredited zoological or aquarium display purposes..."

It sounds to me that the purpose is to assess the risk of all nonnative species. What's wrong with that? Have you seen what some nonnative species, fish and macroalgaes in particular, have done to some reefs? Have you heard of nonnative lionfish erradicating nearly all life from certain areas in the ocean? Or how caulerpa that is improperly disposed of can choke out entire areas? There is an organization that focuses on caulerpa invasions here in southern cali... http://www.sccat.net/#the-caulerpa-information-center-1e86c5 . What about bermese pythons in the everglades?? I think we should ban nonnative animals that that can damage the economy/environment. There are just no natural predators for some of these species that end up in areas where they dont belong.

I highly doubt that they will ban common animals like hamsters, bearded dragons, clownfish, etc. Am I missing something though??

Jesse

Last edited:
When they say "aquarium display purposes" they mean Aquarium of the Pacific, Scripps, etc. Not your home.

Yes, it looks like some animals would be banned... Piranha, pike cichlids, hedgehogs, caiman... oh wait... those are ALREADY banned in California except for scientific research, medical, accredited zoological display...

I can all but guarantee that nothing any of us keeps in our tanks will be banned because nothing we keep in our tropical saltwater aquariums causes any risk to native populations, our economy, or public health.

Some large constrictors may very well go on the banned list. It will not hurt any industry substantially and it will not stop you from keeping lizards, snakes, corals, fish... You may not get to keep every species you like, but that's the breaks sometimes.

I am very much opposed to this bill. How long, how much research, and money will it take for them to decide what is not a threat and will be allowed in. I know most fish and corals would not make the temp change to our native surroundings but some might as well as some hitchhikers. It would be better if they expanded the existing list and/ or the bill was written differently. I am aware of the Zebra Mussel as I am a boater, and Caulerpa thru SCCAT 's display at RAP. I would prefer more research and education than more litigation.

Back