Huge news for the upcoming FRAG show in Simi Valley, Saturday November 23!!

Mr. Brooks

MASVC Member
Two Exciting Announcements!

Hey guys! FRAG is just a month away! We've been getting an overwhelming response from all the premium and local coral farmers and reef related vendors. We have some seriously epic raffle prizes on their way that I'm EXTREMELY excited about. I'd love to spill the beans but I think I'll leave that announcement for another thread. For now I'll just say that some very big names have decided to sponsor our event :thumbsup:

1. Bob Fenner will be guest speaking at our event!!!

For those of you who don't know who he is, here's a short bio:

"Robert (Bob) Fenner is a content provider to the pet-fish (ornamental) aquatics hobby and trade, dive/travel adventure and underwater natural history genres; writing, photography and videography. Though retired since 1994, he continues to produce in this field as well as consult on aquaculture and public aquarium installations.

Bob has "lived" the science, hobby and business of aquatics in the Philippines, Japan and United States. All phases; collector, wholesale, jobber, retail, design, construction and maintenance. All levels; manager, owner, hatchery worker, retail clerk, technician. Except for a stint teaching high school sciences for four years, he has worked all his life in the field of ornamental aquatics.

Academic experience includes fifteen years of college, a couple of life science degrees and a teaching credential for chemistry, physics and biology. Published works include several studies on aquatic biological and chemical questions, and an extensive book and article publishing (helped author a few books, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Fishwatcher's Guide to the Tropical Marine Aquarium Fishes of the World, Natural Marine Aquariums Reef Invertebrates...) and photographic background in aquatic industry and hobby fields. Have taught High School sciences and Marine Sciences and Aquariology courses at the State University, University of California levels.

Bob has been an avid aquatic hobbyist since day one and is active in hobbyist and scientific organizations. He has served on numerous Boards, judged shows and given many programs.

Helped form and run (President) of the employee-owned corporation, Nature Etc., Inc. in San Diego, started in 1973; a turn-key operation in the field of ornamental aquatics, designing and building ponds, lakes, fountains and waterfalls (Aquatic Environments), designing, installing custom aquarium systems and maintenance (Aquatic Life Services), and operating retail outlets (Wet Pets).... currently does consulting, content provision to the trade, sciences and hobby of aquaristics.

Topics for presentation to hobbyist groups include subjects in system design, construction, set-up; livestock selection, collection, acclimation, health, nutrition, travelogues to many countries, photography, videography, making money in the interest."

This is a big deal for me as he taught me practically everything I know about the hobby through his web site. I consider him to be a great mentor to many. Including me.

He's graciously donating his time, driving all the way from San Diego to give an hour long talk about "Allelopathy; Avoidance in Reef Systems". Allelopathy is defined as a biological phenomenon by which an organism produces one or more biochemicals that influence the growth, survival, and reproduction of other organisms. This is an often overlooked subject and I'm excited to learn more about it.

2. Orange Coast College's Public Aquarium is setting up a touch tank!

Note: this is not the actual touch tank, picture taken from Google images.​

This event has always been family friendly and now Orange Coast College is giving you one more reason to bring the whole family. They're setting up a touch tank with lots of marine life for you and your family to experience up close and personal. We're very pleased to have them attending our event. They're setting up in booth 3, shown on the lay-out at the beginning of the FRAG thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2335667.

I have a lot more that I'd like to announce but I'll save it for another thread.

Remember, it's being held on Saturday, November 23, the weekend before Thanksgiving. ALL ARE WELCOME!

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to several people in the months following last year's FRAG who said they wanted to come but didn't because they thought it was an exclusive "club" thing. I just want to make sure everyone knows that this event is open to EVERYONE. Please get the word out. The more the merrier!

Just about every premium coral farmer in Southern California will be at this event selling corals at seriously discounted prices. Vendors have to pay upwards of $1,000 dollars to get a table at other events. Our tables are a fraction of the cost. This allows vendors to pass on the savings to the customers.

A lot of people were really surprised last year at how many awesome vendors we had at such a modest event. We have a reputation for attracting the best coral farmers and getting them to sell corals at discounted prices.

Most of the premium coral farmers that were at RAP will be at FRAG. So if you missed out on RAP, or if you went and were overwhelmed, or thought the prices were too high, then this is the event for you.

Sounds like a great event! I will likely see you there! Maybe I will bring LA Fish Guy Jim along!

Here's our lay out and vendor list as of October 23:

As you can see we still have a couple tables available. If you have any interest in getting a table please contact us immediately. It's first come first serve and we've had inquiries on all of the full sized tables.

Remember, you don't have to sell frags to get a table. This event is a frag swap/trade show. Dry goods vendors are welcome.

Really nice raffle prizes rolling in! Be sure to check in on our sticked thread at the top as we're updating it almost daily.

Back