Humane way to kill a BTA?

hlaalu

I feel the hate already, please let me explain my situation.

I've had a BTA for about three years now. And for three years it hadn't moved. Then it split and the new twin moved to the other side of my tank right in between some very nice corals of mine.

The first one luckily made it's home on a small rock that is now in another tank.

But the one that split is seriously wedged in between some of my nicest corals, and on the biggest piece of rock in my tank. To remove the rock would mean breaking apart many colonies of different corals and taking apart my rock scape. I just cannot do that.

I've tried all the different techniques to get him to move like ice cubes, powerheards, etc. The food is pretty deep in a hole I think.

I love animals, I truly do, but this BTA has to go before it takes out any more of my nice corals.

So if anyone knows a way to help, please share.

I remember seeing something about how freezing a fish would kill the fish humanely. I bet freezing the anemone would work.

I think you know the answer to your question. There isn't a humane way to kill it in the tank. Depending on its size, and the size of your tank, even if you were to kill it, it may nuke your entire tank in the process.

If you want to remove it and don't care about how you treat the nem, you can treat it like a pest nem and inject it with vinegar or kalk, use a majano wand or lazer, etc. It's possible that any of these techniques may cause it to detach, and then you can dispose of it.

I wouldn't dispose of it if it lives after I lets go. That would be wrong at that point. I think he just wants it to move from where it's at.

I use a 5/8" tube to suck crud out of my tank during water changes. I used to suck xenia off my rocks when it was a plague. I'd try using that to suck it out. You won't get it all, but you'll get a big chunk of it out, depending on how much water you change, you may get pretty close.

But I'm an anemone addict. I'd move the sps and keep the BTA. :)

I've heard that they hate having a powerhead blowing directly on them. You could try that and hopefully it moves where you can get him out.

I wouldn't dispose of it if it lives after I lets go. That would be wrong at that point. I think he just wants it to move from where it's at.

I was talking about disposing it after pinching and prodding it and injecting it and basically killing it. It would be more cruel to have it live at that point.

Get a pipe, tube, water bottle etc that is just a little bit larger than the nem is. The just slip it over the nem and secure it somehow so you don't have to hold it. Then just wait for it to detach on its own. Doing something to irritate it might make it move faster, but in the mean time the tube is protecting the corals you think are more valuable and you don't have to kill the nem. That's what I would do.

Get a pipe, tube, water bottle etc that is just a little bit larger than the nem is. The just slip it over the nem and secure it somehow so you don't have to hold it. Then just wait for it to detach on its own. Doing something to irritate it might make it move faster, but in the mean time the tube is protecting the corals you think are more valuable and you don't have to kill the nem. That's what I would do.

+1 that works for me too also avoids killing a helpless animal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's an awesome idea, I'm going to try that. I also just read about sticking an air hose underneath to irritate it.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I was thinking the same thing, using a piece of PVC to surround the nem and keep it from touching corals around it.

I'd go with the pipe idea. Just make sure the pipe isn't so long that it doesn't get any fresh water with oxygen. A short pipe will allow the nem to crawl out of the hole and up the pipe to the light and flow. Then just pull out the pipe.

I have done the pipe method for mine as well, I drill a small hole on two sides of the pipe and I string use nylon string through the holes, tied to some rocks to anchor the pipe down, slip the 8" tall piece of PVC over the nem, the he always slides his way up the tube and on his merry way.

That's an awesome idea, I'm going to try that. I also just read about sticking an air hose underneath to irritate it.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Very good idea ... Plus once removed you don't have to kill it .... Every reefer must have a few spare tanks around ....lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yup, now I have an excuse to set up another tank LOL. I've always wanted a biocube for the bedroom. Going to set up the pipe tonight when it shrinks down a little bit.

Back