Humo Trigger is hurt

derrick80f

Ok, I came downstairs this morning and my humo trigger was stuck at the overflow. I got him away from it gently, and it looked like he was swimming for a second, but then he dropped to the sand bed and thats where he is now. He's not moving. Would being stuck all night like that kill him or is he just recuperating? I don't wanna lose him but it looks grim and there is nothing I can do because I have to go to work.

Not sure how true this is but, I've heard that fish can actually, "drown" from having the water rushing over their gills too rapidly. I've personally experienced this many years ago trolling (fishing) for white and striped bass at the Lake of the Ozarks. Essentially, the fish hit the lure, but I didn't notice the hit. The boat continued to pull the fish through the water until I finally realized there was a fish on the line. Once I realized I had a fish and reeled it in, it was already dead. At the time my father told me that the water moves over the gills so rapidly that the gills cannot get oxygen. Wondering if being stuck to the overflow could have a similar effect?

Did you notice any fin damage or other injuries? Is he breathing heavy or do you have any pics or video of him as he is now?

@HumbleFish @Dr. Reef
I didn't take a video or anything, but when I left for work he was kind of moving a bit, like jerking once in a while, and I think his fins were just moving due to the flow of water. I don't think he will be ok.

Not sure how true this is but, I've heard that fish can actually, "drown" from having the water rushing over their gills too rapidly. I've personally experienced this many years ago trolling (fishing) for white and striped bass at the Lake of the Ozarks. Essentially, the fish hit the lure, but I didn't notice the hit. The boat continued to pull the fish through the water until I finally realized there was a fish on the line. Once I realized I had a fish and reeled it in, it was already dead. At the time my father told me that the water moves over the gills so rapidly that the gills cannot get oxygen. Wondering if being stuck to the overflow could have a similar effect?
Yeah this makes perfect sense. I was thinking something like that probably happened, being stuck like that at night, there's no telling how long he had that water flowing over him, and he was stuck at the entrance of the return pipe, so it was even a heavier flow.. I don't think it would have stuck to the slotted part, but maybe.

when i a fish is too weak to swim away from apowerhead then its normally on its way out. What caused it could be anything, battle/aggression/fight/stress/disease etc,
Pics?

Back