Hurricane Irma

nczipp

My mom lives in South Florida and needs to evacuate for Hurricane Irma, which is almost certain to hit where she lives at a category 4. I am in college in North Florida and she plans on driving up as soon as she can to stay with me. The problem? Our tanks!!!
We have a 10 gallon salt and a 5 gallon fresh. The salt has a yasha goby and various soft corals (mostly zoas and mushrooms). What do y'all suggest as our plan of action? Do we risk leaving the tank and the power going out? The light is on a timer so that's not a huge deal but that doesn't matter if the power goes out.
Our main concern is our goby, primarily because she is the only one that needs to be fed and we're not sure how long my mom will have to stay. My thought is that my mom could get her and a rock in a bucket and I could get a cheap tank here ready to put her in. But then we still risk losing our corals.
I know the most logical answer is to pack up the tank completely. The problem with that, though, is that my mom has shoulders and that would be not only physically taxing and painful, but also could lead to even more damage to her shoulders.
Do y'all have any suggestions or advise? Even after that, we still have our freshwater tank, but that doesn't have as much money invested in it nor the sentimental aspect that our saltwater tank does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom lives in South Florida and needs to evacuate for Hurricane Irma, which is almost certain to hit where she lives at a category 4. I am in college in North Florida and she plans on driving up as soon as she can to stay with me. The problem? Our tanks!!!
We have a 10 gallon salt and a 5 gallon fresh. The salt has a yasha goby and various soft corals (mostly zoas and mushrooms). What do y'all suggest as our plan of action? Do we risk leaving the tank and the power going out? The light is on a timer so that's not a huge deal but that doesn't matter if the power goes out.
Our main concern is our goby, primarily because she is the only one that needs to be fed and we're not sure how long my mom will have to stay. My thought is that my mom could get her and a rock in a bucket and I could get a cheap tank here ready to put her in. But then we still risk losing our corals.
I know the most logical answer is to pack up the tank completely. The problem with that, though, is that my mom has shoulders and that would be not only physically taxing and painful, but also could lead to even more damage to her shoulders.
Do y'all have any suggestions or advise? Even after that, we still have our freshwater tank, but that doesn't have as much money invested in it nor the sentimental aspect that our saltwater tank does.

Fish in one bucket with cuc, corals in another... take the light with her and the skimmer. buy a cheap tank, hob filter and a bottle of colony :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I drove from the panhandle to Tampa with my 8 gallon AIO in a cooler (to protect my car from splashing water). Just put the whole tank in there. I plugged in the filtration system into my cigarette lighter with a converter from Radio Shack. All arrived in perfect condition. Had a couple of gallons of fresh saltwater to replenish as water splashed out as needed.

I'm now wondering what to do with my 40 & 20 if evacuation is necessary.

release the fish in the ocean. :wavehand::wavehand::wavehand:

nah I am kidding transporting it in a cooler and plugging the set up in the cigarette port like he said will work fine also if it is that important just cowgirl up and go pick it up and transport it for her she is your mom she had to teach you how to use a spoon you can help her with this one XD

release the fish in the ocean. :wavehand::wavehand::wavehand:

nah I am kidding transporting it in a cooler and plugging the set up in the cigarette port like he said will work fine also if it is that important just cowgirl up and go pick it up and transport it for her she is your mom she had to teach you how to use a spoon you can help her with this one XD

lol I actually ended up deciding to do just that. I'm heading home in a bit to help her pack it up and driving back tomorrow. It just sucks because it's a 6-7 hour drive and I just drove up yesterday [emoji30] I'm kicking myself that I didn't bring it up then but what's done is done [emoji25]

So I traveled down to help my mom and I unfortunately ended up stuck due to traffic on I75 and the fact that gas is so hard to get I'd likely run out of gas on the way. My mom and I plan on going to my uncle's place which is safer but he won't like us setting up a tank in there so we'd have to basically leave everything in a bucket or cooler.
My question is, is it ok to leave everything in the bucket? I have a few internal filters that can be used for when we have power and bubblers for when we don't, but I've never thought about whether or not they're ok in a bucket vs a tank.

a bucket is a tank. just with round sides you can't see through. They'll be fine in there.

Good Luck and STAY SAFE!!!

This is one of those situations where a generator is a life saver. I would never own a home without a generator. Gotta keep your food from spoiling and keep your tank from dieing and keeping the AC/Heat on. I hope you can stay safe there if worse comes to worse there from Ohio!

This is one of those situations where a generator is a life saver. I would never own a home without a generator. Gotta keep your food from spoiling and keep your tank from dieing and keeping the AC/Heat on. I hope you can stay safe there if worse comes to worse there from Ohio!

My uncle does have a generator but, just like the fact that he doesn't want a tank in his house, he (understandably) won't want to use the power that they will have on our fish. Which won't be a huge problem since we have bubblers, just as long as the power doesn't stay off too long!

My uncle does have a generator but, just like the fact that he doesn't want a tank in his house, he (understandably) won't want to use the power that they will have on our fish. Which won't be a huge problem since we have bubblers, just as long as the power doesn't stay off too long!

With winds like that, Mom could be without power for weeks.
Not kidding. We had no power for 17 days after Ike back in 2008.
Just luck of the draw on which areas get more power line damage and how long it takes crews to access and repair.

Those battery powered air pumps were a life saver for me after Sandy hit, We were without power for over a week.

Back