Hydraulic trunk lifts for canopy?

triguy

I'm looking to build a new canopy for my 2 LED fixtures. Has anybody used the hydraulic trunk/hood lifts for cars to hold up their canopy lids? If so, are they easy to install?

And if anybody has any good diy plans for a canopy they would like to share, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the compliment - I am sorry, should have been more clear/complete with my post...

The hydraulics work ( Have not used them for this application but have for other things) but you will have the potential of a real mess using any hydraulic oil filled system. And - the pneumatic lifts will work also, but are noisy.

The electric lifts are simple, easy to install, quiet, and can be reasonable in price, but not the cheapest.

But, for the overall "best value" - I still like the electric ones. No field engineering. Just pick the one you need, and install.

HTH
T

If you use the gas struts, you may want to consider a simple fabric sleeze to protect the strut rod and seal from salt damage.

That or maybe get some marine rated ones from a boat parts supplier. just a FYI they are not cheap.

I'd check a places like CPPreformance, rexmarine, dana and the like. I doubt places like westmarine/overtons has them.

If you use the gas struts, you may want to consider a simple fabric sleeze to protect the strut rod and seal from salt damage.

Is the fabric treated with something to prevent moisture vapor transmission thru it? Had not seen that.......
T

You could treat the fabric... but I would simple use thin nylon, or other coated fabrics that can be found at the local crafts store.If you use a more ridgid cloth, it can be made with a few permanent creases to collapse on itself.

Some struts come with telescopic plastic covers.

You tickled my memory Bean...
I used to use this stuff on remote control boats. Just sprayed all the mechanicals, and electronics - you could sink the boat, take it out of the water, and shake it, and the components would be dry. No post - water log corrosion either!
http://corrosionxproducts.com/

T

they are made for hoods and trunk lids which are very much more heavy than a canopy .IMO they would just be to strong for using on a canopy as you would have to break the canopy in half in order to collapse them . linear activators would be better suited but also very costly IMO .my canopies are built to fully open and basically sit on themselves when open . they weigh approximately 35lbs and are pretty easy to open . also you would have corrosion problems that are commonly related to salt water tanks . i would suggest that you build your hood so you don't have to involve them in order to keep the hood open . home depot makes "catch stays" that will allow you to open a face about 90 degrees and their function is to hold open the door .they work just fine but the weight of the door is not reduced as they are not pressurized rather they are a mechanical arm that will hold open at only one position .

I used to work in an Autoparts store. We sold the lifts you are asking about.
The pressures in those things are outrageous. The smaller ones have about 130 PSI.
iamwrasseman is correct in the fact that it would tear apart your hood.
The lifts made for camper shells are only 12 - 16 psi. More than likely not enough
to hold your canopy open or to stop it from slamming.

I would make the canopy so the lid flips up and sits on itself.
d37cabc9.jpg

8138e187.jpg

Here it is with trim and before staining.
978a0714.jpg

There was someone that had done something with a counterweight that made it easy to lift up the canopy. It would stay open, then easily closed without slamming. I'm going to try to find it because I'd like to do something similar.

8138e187.jpg

I like that but if the OP has a T5 retrofit like I do it wouldn't fit under there.

Are you saying a retro won't fit under my canopy, or won't fit with the counter balance mechanism you're referring to?

they are made for hoods and trunk lids which are very much more heavy than a canopy
Gas struts come in a huge range of lifting strengths. Also, the mounting points and angle create the leverage. By changing the angle, you can change the amount of force exerted on the hinge, panel, etc.

Most gas strut manufacturers have selection tables and/or formulas to help ensure the proper strut is selected.

Be glad if you don't have a Rockler store in your local area... Walking into one will part yo and your money very qickly.

Are you saying a retro won't fit under my canopy, or won't fit with the counter balance mechanism you're referring to?

I was saying I wouldn't be able to get my retrofit inside of that canopy. But now that I think about it there's no reason I couldn't mount one or two of the lights on the hinged section and they could just come up & out of the way when the door is opened.

Back