Hydroxychloroquine in QT tank

Wantagereef

I am interested in trying chloroquine phosphate as a prophylactic treatment in my QT tank. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that stocks chloroquine in Australia (or quinine sulphate for that matter). The best I can get is hydroxychloroquine.

Has anyone on here had any experience using this? Is there any difference in the treatment regimen to CP?

I am interested in trying chloroquine phosphate as a prophylactic treatment in my QT tank. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that stocks chloroquine in Australia (or quinine sulphate for that matter). The best I can get is hydroxychloroquine.

Has anyone on here had any experience using this? Is there any difference in the treatment regimen to CP?

Quinine sulfate is a close cousin of CP and has been used with success. Its said to be tougher on the fish, though. CP is the rage now and I like it, but its still impossible to keep a known quantity in the water column. I still prefer and use Cupramine on all of my own fish ; I know how it acts and what to do if problems come up. FWIW: I've tracked several ich infected fish that we treated with CP for their owners. Ich hasn't appeared in any of the 6 tanks for at least 4 months. Hardly scientific; but its something.

I couldn't get hold of QS here either - I even looked into the possibility of using tonic water!!

I've used hypo to treat ich before and happy to do this as prophylaxis, but had read CP was easier and also treated brooklynella. I'm wanting to add a clown was looking at a way of doing a prophylactic treatment of brook without using formalin and the CP seemed to be an ideal solution.

If I knew that 4-6 weeks QT was enough to guarantee that the clown had no brook then I would just treat with hypo and prazi as prophylaxis for other ailments, but I can't find anything that confirms whether this is the case or how prevalent brook really is; I'd hate to go through the effort of a QT and still end up adding something like brook to the aquarium.

I couldn't get hold of QS here either - I even looked into the possibility of using tonic water!!

I've used hypo to treat ich before and happy to do this as prophylaxis, but had read CP was easier and also treated brooklynella. I'm wanting to add a clown was looking at a way of doing a prophylactic treatment of brook without using formalin and the CP seemed to be an ideal solution.

If I knew that 4-6 weeks QT was enough to guarantee that the clown had no brook then I would just treat with hypo and prazi as prophylaxis for other ailments, but I can't find anything that confirms whether this is the case or how prevalent brook really is; I'd hate to go through the effort of a QT and still end up adding something like brook to the aquarium.

If you keep the clown in the QT 6+ weeks and don't see any signs of brook, I think you're safe. Brook's life cycle doesn't seem to vary as widely as it does for ich. I think the best way for your situation is to treat for ich, using tank transfer. Keep the fish a total of at least 6 weeks (I would do 8 weeks) and you should be fine. I would worm the fish with Prazi-Pro at this time as well. This is not expert scientific advice, but I think its sound. Brook always seems to show itself if its present, not so with ich.

If you keep the clown in the QT 6+ weeks and don't see any signs of brook, I think you're safe. Brook's life cycle doesn't seem to vary as widely as it does for ich. I think the best way for your situation is to treat for ich, using tank transfer. Keep the fish a total of at least 6 weeks (I would do 8 weeks) and you should be fine. I would worm the fish with Prazi-Pro at this time as well. This is not expert scientific advice, but I think its sound. Brook always seems to show itself if its present, not so with ich.

I agree with the above. The problems/issues I have with chloroquinine phosphate (or related) are:
1. Dosage is anecdotal and is unclear
2. Half life of the drug is not defined
3. No way of testing current concentration
4. Drug may disassociate and release the Phosphate radical
5. Long term effect on fish has not been studied
6. In humans, drug resistant strains have resulted
7. Counterfeit supplies of the drugs exist

Back