I am a little concerned........

Gdubb

I have some type of film that is floating on top of my water. It almost seems like it has an oily feel to it. I am very concerend so I have not put any live rock or fish in the tank yet. I set this up the first week of the year, so its going on 4 weeks and the film is still there.

I have some pics so if any one has any ideas please chime and help me out.

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

this pic "kinda" shows it floating in the water after I topped it off

IMG_1522.jpg

Thanks!

Dissolved organic compounds. You need more water movement near the top of tank to stop this from building up. It blocks the gas exchange and you can end up with low oxygen in the water. Aim a power head so it stirs the top of the tank.

basically your entire tank is acting like a skimmer and proteins and other organics are floating to the top.

What kind of setup do you have? Do you have a sump? I have a overflow on my 55, with a skimmer in the sump, The surface always stays clear. I tried the powerhead on my 30, but it only kept a portion clear, until I got a HOB on it.

But basically like drparker said, keep the surface agitated.

why have you not put in your live rock yet---very important in the cycling process of your tank--the curing of it produces phosphates and nitrates which stimulate bacterial growth(cycling)

Its a 55g non sump oceanic with a Tunze 9005 in tank skimmer with Aquaclear 70 power head. I want to get a another power head for more flow. Just moving the power head closer to the top its broke up so much of the gunk on top.

I am thinking I need a HOB refugium since I dont have a sump.

This going to be a FOWLR tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11689511#post11689511 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
why have you not put in your live rock yet---very important in the cycling process of your tank--the curing of it produces phosphates and nitrates which stimulate bacterial growth(cycling)

A neighbor is giving me his LR because he was tearing his down, I was wanting to take it slowly and be patient, I know thats whats needed in this hobby. Now just need to pick up the pace just a bit

good attitude---but since you don't have fish etc in there now its a good thing to add all the live rock and let it cure and cylcle in your tank
keep track of the ammonia level--if it spikes to high do a water change
that way all the bacteria is being generated in your tank--ready to handle the bioload of inverts and fish you will add in the future

Back