I decided on a skimmer

cveverly

I went against all conventional wisdom and bought a untried new to the market Grey Seas 2. I will be using 2 PSK-2500 pumps on it.

I hope it turns out to be a good decision.

So you bought the skimmer and have to buy the pumps seperate? Also, are those the recommended pumps? Looks interesting, good pumps too. I guess they have been popular over seas for a while.

nice gig Chuck ,,, send some pics of this in action !! 249.00 ??? plus the pump cost ,,,could be a winner. i like the one or two pump option thing

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15448749#post15448749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aerius007
So you bought the skimmer and have to buy the pumps seperate? Also, are those the recommended pumps?

Yes you buy the skimmer only and use your own pump. They say the body was built around the Sicce PSK-2500 but will work with Eheim 1260/1262 pinwheel or mesh, Gen-x4100 when meshed, Ocean Runner 3700 with mesh, or meshed Sedras.

My skimmer has a psk-2500 and I havent had any problems with it. I would like to know how to do the mesh mod, but havent gotten around to it yet. If thats what the body was built around, other than those pumps being a bit expensive I dont see any reason to not go with them. Good luck.

Zach, I have some mesh and mesh impellers if you want to give it a try sometime. I run the pin wheels in my MSX 250.

Sicce pumps are great pumps. Also, I scrapped the mesh modded impeller and opted for the pin wheel impeller, and haven't noticed a difference in performance.

Apparently there is a PPW (Purple Pin Wheel) impeller on the market, that is supposed to pull mesh numbers. There are a few different options of pin-wheels for the Sicce pumps, I'm currently using the MSX pin wheel.

Good luck with the new skimmer.

The mesh can be a real PIA. You have keep an eye on it. Mine was not wanting to start after a power down. The mesh can start coming apart after time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15450708#post15450708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tswifty

Apparently there is a PPW (Purple Pin Wheel) impeller on the market, that is supposed to pull mesh numbers.

I think I am going to use the PPW. It is made by ATB (or for ATB) and it comes in two sizes. If it works as well as mesh without the problems it is $30 well spent.

i too am getting th ppw for my psk2500 well worth the money from what ive read ....seriously thinking of getting one of these cones to try iy out too great price!!

Skimmer will be here on Monday and I just ordered the 2500 pump with PPW impeller. Good thing we are getting overtime again. :lol:

Anyone got a stock PSK-2500 I can test the difference with?

I have also heard about the PPW, I think reef specialty sells them. I have been afraid of the mesh mod because of balance issues and also having to replace it. Maybe ill get some purp...

it all depends on what style psk2500 you are using and the skimmer it is attached to there are many different answers to that question but the PPW is way better buit than most that is for sure and always get a performance boost no matter the application as far as I have read next time i am at salty I gonna grab one and test it out

I am still using the meshed wheel that came with the pump. I hope I can borrow a meter to test the difference between the mesh and the large PPW.

the mesh will pull more ...but more isnt always better more air equals more turbulance you need to dial; it in on the skimmer I would go with the ppw and call it a day

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15508602#post15508602 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DiscoReefRover
I would go with the ppw and call it a day

That is the plan. I still want to compare the two.

Update for the folks that have not seen the post elsewhere.

Using the Sicce PSK-2500 pump I tested the ATB large Purple Pinwheel (PPW) and recorded 21-22 SCFH. I switched back to the meshed impeller I get 37-38 SCFH. The foam in the reaction chamber looked a lot better.

For comparison, my Bubble Magus NAC6 pulls 20-21 with a Atman meshed pump.

Jon Warner of WM has a new impeller and matching venturi that is pulling 44 SCFH. I am trying to contact him so I can buy the set for testing.

Back