I did something drastic that I think will work.

AmatureReefer

So I have had the worst nitrates 40 and up for so long and I was just to lazy to look into it. Then I started getting above 80 and 120 and I freaked. So I went all over the website and found that bio balls that I have been using are probably the problem. So I dumped them all... I know not such a good idea but having over 70lbs live rock in the tank and a 4 inch sand bed in the tank and over 30lbs of bio rock in the refuge I think my tank wont cycle. Not to mention the tank is 3 years old. So I did this and noticed my nitrate went from 120 to 40 over night.

Here is my question, should I do another big water change, or should I let my tank run for a bit?

Any other ideas you guys might have to help me get rid of nitrates other then water change?

Thanks guys, Im just getting myself back into the hobby again, even though I had the tank I was just to burnt out to care as much as I used to. I was a bad reef parent but im trying to fix that now.

CeeGee

Keep an eye on your ammonia. It was a very bad idea to dump all of them at once. I would check your ammonia every 12 hours until I was sure I was in the clear.

Sisterlimonpot

Premium Member
I'll have to disagree with a possible ammonia spike. with 70lbs of LR it will pick up the load. what kind of livestock do you have in your tank?

heap

generally speaking 'i did something drastic' is the aquarium equivalent of "hey ya'll, watch this...."

Sisterlimonpot

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14796694#post14796694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by heap
generally speaking 'i did something drastic' is the aquarium equivalent of "hey ya'll, watch this...."
:D
Famous last words,,, right?
:D

Mouse

UnRegistered Member
Wow, Id make up some SW for a change... just in case......

What is in the tank now?

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
Removing the bioballs would not cause a drop in nitrates like you saw. Only thing I can imagine would be a water change. Or your test kit is wrong.

AmatureReefer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14796930#post14796930 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LobsterOfJustice
Removing the bioballs would not cause a drop in nitrates like you saw. Only thing I can imagine would be a water change. Or your test kit is wrong.

I believe you are right in the bio balls not being the problem, it was what was underneath them. I pulled out a sludge that I had know idea was underneath them. a good 3 inch thick dicusting brown sludge. I think pulling all of this out and doing a big water change at the same time pretty much did it. Thanks for your response, I do agree with you.

AmatureReefer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14796806#post14796806 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mouse
Wow, Id make up some SW for a change... just in case......

What is in the tank now?

good idea doing it right now!

thanks

AmatureReefer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14796079#post14796079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sisterlimonpot
I'll have to disagree with a possible ammonia spike. with 70lbs of LR it will pick up the load. what kind of livestock do you have in your tank?

Hardy fish, Maroon clown and lawnmower blenny, and a couple damsels. I dont like expensive fish, I like coral though and they are doing well.

Red and Green Polyps doing great
Flower Pot doing well,
Daisy Polyps doing great
Gorginia and red sea sponge which are doing better then I have ever seen today.
Green mushrooms that have been in my tank since the begining. Other wise not that much in the tank. Other then a good clean up crew.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate your time.

AmatureReefer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14795960#post14795960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CeeGee
Keep an eye on your ammonia. It was a very bad idea to dump all of them at once. I would check your ammonia every 12 hours until I was sure I was in the clear.

Will do, Im going to test it again right now.

AmatureReefer

Update if you guys want it. Taking bio balls out did not hurt ammonia what so ever... Nitrates are staying at 40 so I put some brand new filter media in tonight, and added new back back cannister filter to the tank to help me pull out more nitrates. Algae growth has slowed and I am able to see more of my rock. My clean up crew is catching up.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
nitrate 40
ph 8.2

Need to buy new phosphate reader I am out.

Thanks guys and I hope if anyone needs one more proof bio balls are a big waste of time, and are a head ache down the road. I will get pics up once my tank is back to 0 nitrates, ad algae is back under control.

IslandCrow

Reef Monkey
Premium Member
I'm afraid that canister filter isn't going to "pull" out any nitrates if that's what you really mean for it to do. Canister filters can be very useful, but you need to keep them clean, or they can cause similar problems as the bioballs. What sort of media are you using in the canister filter by the way?

As for the bioballs, pulling them was probably a very good idea, and it's not surprising at all that you didn't get an ammonia spike. With 70 lbs of live rock, those bioballs were completely redundant. Just keep up on your water changes, and make sure you don't get detritus building up underneath and between that rock rubble. Your nitrates should continue to drop. Best of luck.

AmatureReefer

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14804425#post14804425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IslandCrow
I'm afraid that canister filter isn't going to "pull" out any nitrates if that's what you really mean for it to do. Canister filters can be very useful, but you need to keep them clean, or they can cause similar problems as the bioballs. What sort of media are you using in the canister filter by the way?

As for the bioballs, pulling them was probably a very good idea, and it's not surprising at all that you didn't get an ammonia spike. With 70 lbs of live rock, those bioballs were completely redundant. Just keep up on your water changes, and make sure you don't get detritus building up underneath and between that rock rubble. Your nitrates should continue to drop. Best of luck.

Thanks for the help. This brings up my next question then. If boosting up my filtration does not help lower nitrates, then is it only water changes that can reduce them?

I really do appreciate all the help guys. I am going to look on other forums on more advice to lower nitrates.