I don't understand trades only

While I can't see denying a reefer a piece they're looking for, I can fully understand why some individuals don't want $$ associated with the transaction of corals. With all the LE corals, "known lineage" marketing hype etc; maybe some reefers would just like people to enjoy the corals for their beauty as opposed to their monetary value. By abiding by a "trade only" policy, such a person ensures that they don't contribute to the financial motivation aspect of the hobby.

As a hypothetical example consider my own personal preferences. I really like the look of certain Montipora Digitata variations. Conversely, some of the more rare acros aren't as aesthetically pleasing to me as simple digitata. So if I were one of those individuals, I'd be happy to trade a frag of said acro for a frag of what many might consider to be a "lesser value" frag of digitata. Sure I could sell the acro for more, then buy the digitata for less and pocket the cash, but that would be in conflict with not perpetuating the monetary aspect of coral popularity.

Perhaps the person you ran into is an idealist and doesn't believe in the comercial aspect of coral propagation and distribution.

Chris

The seasons greetings is going for $50. I traded Richard a pink polyp cap frag for a frag of that (or very similar). If I sold the frag I could never purchase that coral unless they dropped the price to $10 and I don't believe Richard was selling frags for $10.

I guess you totally missed my point which was that you could sell your frags for $50 to someone that wanted them and then buy Richard's frag for $50. From my perspective, I'd rather pay a fellow reefer $50 then pay some online store $50, plus $40 shipping.

With all the LE corals, "known lineage" marketing hype etc; maybe some reefers would just like people to enjoy the corals for their beauty as opposed to their monetary value.

I certainly agree with that. Unfortunately, I'm the buyer looking at corals and buying them because I like their colors and looks. I even asked Richard for a pencil and paper so I could write down all the fancy names. However, I'm hopeless, as once I added them to the tank, I really don't know which ones are which and could care less.

As a further note, we are not talking about some rare uber coral here that is a once in a lifetime find and should be kept my those that can best keep them alive. I am referring to zoas, rics & palys.

Perhaps the person you ran into is an idealist and doesn't believe in the comercial aspect of coral propagation and distribution.

It's not just one person. Several posters in this thread have also run into this trade only phenomenon.

Joyce, can I just say, I really like you...! We think alike...

P.S. I'm on the prowl for a F. Bellus for my tank...!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14140171#post14140171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pookstreet
Make sure you bring lots of $$$ for CFM. My prices just doubled :lol: And they are tripled for Mark since he left so early.

so let me see. I have to pay 3x the cost.....so 3x0= ahhhh man, that's messed up Kenny

:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14134797#post14134797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tamphuong
I think that they want to trade to avoid income tax .
who really claims that? i mean, do u list all your ebay or craigslist sales? or how bout corals you given out as a donation, is that tax deductible?

Joyce, can I just say, I really like you...! We think alike...

Aw shucks......

The funny thing is I sell all my old equipment on craigslist & the recycler. I've given away or sold frags to lots of newbies for a few dollars to get them started. There are lots of newbies with designer corals that don't even know. Of course, I really didn't mean to sell my plug with 5 tubs blues for $3. I realized it later, but oh well. I was able to purchase more at the Ventura swap.

P.S. I'm on the prowl for a F. Bellus for my tank...!

I love all the genicathus angels. I'd like to add some males, but all my fish are pretty established and I am afraid that any new additions would get picked on, so I'll just enjoy the females and hope one of my two female watanabes changes to a male (not likely but it could happen!).

If I sell some frags, my wife wants the $$$.

If I trade, she gets nothin!

Finally an answer that makes sense to me:)!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14145019#post14145019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chewie
If I sell some frags, my wife wants the $$$.

If I trade, she gets nothin!

Mods can delete all the other replies in this thread now.
:lol:

Funny, I'm out of the hobby for a while but still have a few friends here. I can't even give-away a tank to one of them, no less trade it. :lol:

SteveU

Back