I forgot the rules about copper, advise please

sugartooth

Reef bully
I used copper for 7 days in a 90 gallon QT setup. Only PVC and eggcrate were in the tank.

The tank was running for approx. 9 months. After copper treatment, system was emptied and then put back in use.

So all equipment including tank is no longer able to be used? Does it stay around this long in the seams or gaskets, etc.? I also forgot if there was some way to 'neutralize' it?

I ask because I want to mix saltwater in the tank for water changes, but the water changes would be for mixed reef tanks, etc.

No good?

There is a product that claims to remove copper. It's SeaChem CupriSorb. Most people will tell you that they wouldn't take a chance and that you should never use that equipment reefs or the water that was in it. I have never used copper so I really dont have first hand experience.

You can use the tank for mixing your saltwater for your reef. The copper doesn't bond to the silicone like people once thought. If you check in the reef chemistry forum, Randy puts this myth to rest. :)

JRaquatics has my old 180 that he uses for his reef. I used copper in that tank more times then I'd like to admit.

+1 on not using copper. It is just too much of a hassle unless you have a system that you want to only dedicate to quarantine.

Jeff: Thanks, I will take a look at that product.

Breadman: Thanks for the input. I've been traumatized by chemistry so it doesn't even cross my thoughts to go in that forum. Even further traumatizing are medicinal chemists- show me a structure and I will go cross-eyed....:D

Blac: Yes, I wasn't sure if extended copper use vs. 1 time use makes any difference. I didn't know if the extended use gives the copper opportunity to be absorbed over time and it stays there?

But it seems like it would be okay just to mix water if there is no leeching/absorbance.

Re: I forgot the rules about copper, advise please

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14131624#post14131624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sugartooth
I used copper for 7 days in a 90 gallon QT setup. Only PVC and eggcrate were in the tank.

The tank was running for approx. 9 months. After copper treatment, system was emptied and then put back in use.

So all equipment including tank is no longer able to be used? Does it stay around this long in the seams or gaskets, etc.? I also forgot if there was some way to 'neutralize' it?

I ask because I want to mix saltwater in the tank for water changes, but the water changes would be for mixed reef tanks, etc.

No good?

Is the tank acrylic or glass? My 180 gal acrylic was a fish only that treated with copper for over 2 years. now it is a sps tank. I also run the same mag pump for that time period. If the tank was glass I would not try!

Kathy, I would be very weary. Maybe set it up and run it for a little while(like a week or so) and then test for copper?

Back