I got a free dragon eel...

akopley

Premium Member
One of my local fish stores gave me their dragon eel who's been on a 6 month hunger strike.

They force fed him for the first time today 3 silversides and he kept down two of them. He was reactive in the net and is laying upright in my tank currently.

My tank is 240 mixed reef with only 2 fish small enough to be eaten and one ornamental shrimp.

Appreciate advice and recommendations on how to help him if it's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of my Dragon eel have gone on hunger strikes for months at a time. I think 6 mo was the longest. I would try live food like large goldfish. They aren't nutritious but should spark some movement. I would also check the eels eyes to make sure they are clear and not cloudy. Not sure how they were able to force fed a dragon but if the eel gets strest out he could regurgitate the silversides up over night.

Both of my Dragon eel have gone on hunger strikes for months at a time. I think 6 mo was the longest. I would try live food like large goldfish. They aren't nutritious but should spark some movement. I would also check the eels eyes to make sure they are clear and not cloudy. Not sure how they were able to force fed a dragon but if the eel gets strest out he could regurgitate the silversides up over night.

Eyes are clear. Hoping for the best.

I got a free dragon eel...

They had put a chromis in with him at the store but he was lying upside down when I first saw him. His breathing seems steady and normal.

2f639aaf19c9f028da2e29d2a7304528.jpg

i know nothing about eels but i cant imagine it being upside down like that good

It's my upside down in that picture and he's upright now. I'm 100% sure he has some recovering to do. The question is if he is too far gone.

You could try some squid too, I've read many an article saying that eels have a hard time resisting squid.

I saw a thread a few years back regarding the feeding oh ribbon eels. Alot of people had luck by creating a "feeding frenzy" in the tank. Such as taking a live/frozen food with some tongs and simulating a panic situation. Somef eels natural instincts took over at this point. Beautiful animal and goof luck!

I would try some live foods like mentioned above. What other fish are in the tank with the dragon? Also try fresh seafood from the grocery or local market. Hopefully he pulls through, thats a $1500 eel you were given for free

His eyes do look good thats a plus. The problem with eels is once they go that long without food they become extremely lethargic to conserve energy. No need to try and cause a feeding frenzy, your eel won't move fast enough to go after it. I would try the gold fish and also like Dmorty217 said, get some seafood from grocery store. My JDM's eat Squid, shrimp, octopus and scallops. They have a hard time resisting the smell of squid, so you should try offering multiple times per day. Use tongs and put it directly in his face. He will probably do a head shake when he smells the squid. This is a good sign and will hopefully get him interested in feeding. Once he starts to feed again Try feeding him once a week and before you know it you will have a eating machine on your hands. Also make sure you have a lid or closed canopy on tank cuz your eel will get out once it becomes lively again. Good Luck

Back